Ice-cation boredom? What to do when Cobb County makes the call to stay at home

Ms. Kovel

What to do when you are stuck at home on a snow day. Yeah, we’ll take it, Cobb County.

Alicia Bush, Editor-in-Chief

Although the temperature indeed requires a bubble coat and knitted scarf, Georgia’s meteorologists wrongly forecasted inclement weather for February 16 and 17. Last year’s “Snowpocalypse” imposed a heavy distress on the city, so precautions proved necessary to prevent a repeat. As a result, several school districts, including Cobb County, allowed students and teachers to remain home.

Without a Winter Wonderland to trudge through, most people find themselves trapped in boredom, rather than in their homes. But honestly, several activities exist to overcome these inevitable feelings.

Catch up on homework. Do not run to the car, in search for an escape outing. Log out of the Netflix account, and place aside the cellular device. Duty calls, and teachers will expect completed assignments upon return. Finish it up: “I did mainly Calculus homework and studied for material I wasn’t too sure of,” senior Elise Richardson said.

Catch up on television. Say you completed homework over the weekend. Watch the TV shows missed from last week. Especially for highly involved students, TV time became nonexistent once school started again. But during the snow days, relaxation and TV goes hand-in-hand: “I caught up on the Real Housewives of Atlanta. It reminded me of why I love it so much,” senior Mahagony Williams said.

Spend quality time with the ‘rents. More than likely, the parentals also stayed home due to the “dangerous weather conditions.” Unless their employers called them in, take time to bond and familiarize with the loved ones. During the weekdays, everyone’s colliding schedules leave little time for bonding, but “snow days” can rejuvenate these relationships: “I was able to have a decent conversation with my mom, and we didn’t have to rush off to school afterwards,” junior Jada Bivens said.

Eat a decent breakfast. During school days, eating breakfast becomes a task instead of an enjoyable meal. The only quick breakfast items involve chicken and biscuits from Chick-Fil-A’s glorious drive-thru. Make a homemade breakfast. Fire up the pancakes or butter the toast; whichever fills your belly and gets the job done: “I made my own breakfast and didn’t have to rush to get done. That felt good,” sophomore Annie Goodwin said.

Do something to benefit your future. No matter the activity, use this time for productivity. Read a book, exercise, or fast forward to the next unit in literature. Engage yourself in something unregrettable because time does not refill itself. Use it wisely: “I was able to go on a freezing Kennesaw State University tour, and I got to see the dorms I’ll be staying in next year. And I loved them,” senior Rachel Poma said.