Promposals popular across campus and social media

Nabila Pranto

Junior Manoah Johnson promposes to junior Judy Beddawi early in the morning with her favorite flowers and snack,and a poster that says “You’ve traveled all over the world… now will you travel to prom with me?”

Nabila Pranto, Reporter, Photographer

As prom looms ahead and juniors and seniors stress for outfits and dates, junior Manoah Johnson presented fellow junior Judy Beddawi with a “promposal” as he waited outside the Deal building before her first period.

“Judy is an amazing person and I was hoping we could go to prom together, so I couldn’t resist asking her,” Johnson said.

Promposals like Johnson’s have popped up in popularity via social media and word-of-mouth. Students try to one-up one another in creativity and expressions of romance. Many choose carefully when planning, similar to a marriage proposal. Tips include thinking about the person’s individual interests or personal history.

"I can't wait to go to Prom this year," Bedawwi said.
Nabila Pranto
“I can’t wait to go to Prom this year,” Bedawwi said.

With the help of junior Ashley Diaz, Johnson successfully promposed to Judy on February 10. The theme’s inspiration came from Diaz herself: knowing Judy travels the world, she posed the question written on the poster for Johnson: “You have traveled all over the world… now will you travel to prom with me?” Along with the poster, he brought her a bundle of assorted flowers and her favorite snack, Goldfish.

“It took hours to prepare all the things to make this the perfect promposal. Judy’s my best friend so I wanted it to be as perfect as possible,” Diaz said.

When Bedawwi came across the promposal she could not hold back her bright smile, alleviating Johnson of his worries. He knew the answer was yes.

“It was the perfect moment, to see her smile like that,” Johnson said.

Bedawwi seemed to agree: “I’m so happy and excited to go to prom this year with Manoah!”

During the promposal, other students gathered in bunches to witness the proceedings. Promposals often include friends and strangers present to amp up the excitement and pride from the promposee and promposer.

“It was so cute to see Manoah do the promposal for Judy,” junior Jasmine Conaway said.

With prom just a few weeks away, promposals might be more and more commonplace in classrooms, hallways, and in the parking lots.