Step-overs, drags, kicks, and optimism: The right moves to become excellent

Tarleshia Jean-Pierre

As graceful as the kick seems Jefferson’s kick is powerful and useful in her center defender position which her team mates notice. A good friend and team mate senior Liberti Gates describes her as a “ team leader, determined, and always sees the the brighter side even when we’re losing.”

Tarleshia Jean-Pierre, Reporter, Photographer

“Soccer is just my passion. If I could put everything I love into one thing─ it would be soccer,” senior Shani Jefferson says, reflecting upon her high school career and looking towards college opportunities.

Chant photographer catches Jefferson’s profile in mid-strike.
Tarleshia Jean-Pierre

Born in San Francisco, California, Jefferson has been playing soccer from the age of six and has loved it ever since. Although she participated on and off for the first few years, alternating soccer with other sports such as softball or gymnastics, she always returned to soccer. When she moved to Georgia in 2006, she played with the Southern Soccer Academy, formerly known as Kennesaw Football League, and remained with them as she entered high school and played for North Cobb.

Over the years, Shani has developed a long-term passion for soccer: “I knew since middle school this was the sport I could play forever.” She not only receives support at home, but also on the field.

Girls Varsity coach and Spanish teacher Mr. Romero admirably describes Shani: “If you were to look up the word ‘warrior’ in the dictionary, Shani’s picture would be right under it.”

Jefferson’s hard work has certainly paid off. She has received numerous awards for her position as center defender. She received MVP in 2013, Defensive Player of the Year in 2013 and 2014, and NC student athlete of the week in 2014.

Jefferson’s reminisces fondly over her favorite moment playing soccer, during her freshman year with NC when the team had gone to the playoffs.

“I was playing midfield at the time and I shot and scored. Unfortunately, the referee didn’t count it because they thought the goalie had possession of the ball. This is my favorite memory because it was a really big moment for me being a freshman and my whole team praised me for being a great shot,” she said.

Senior Shani Jefferson poses in her white NC uniform for the last time before wearing her new Mississippi Valley State red, green, and white uniform.
Tarleshia Jean-Pierre

However, with every high, there remains a low: “The loss that I learned most from would have to be the game against Marietta this year. I definitely learned what’s important to have during a game, such as communication, positive attitude, and teamwork —which is key,” she expressed.

While Jefferson succeeds in athletics, she also excels as an academic scholar with a 3.7 GPA.  When asked how she balances being an athlete and a student, she stated, “It’s definitely difficult at times, especially on game days, when you get home really late and have a lot of homework to do. It’s all about time management. Once you start getting into the routine, you learn that you should do as much as you can during school, then try really hard in practice. If you try really hard to balance everything out it benefits you.”

After receiving a full academic and athletic scholarship, Shani made a commitment to play soccer at Mississippi Valley State University and plans to study biology before applying for the sports medicine program.

“Shani is a dedicated individual. She is smiling right now, but on the field her face screams determination. Her passion for soccer is wonderful. I’ve been to two of her games and I know that she deserves to be committed,” senior Fadil Ali said.