Creativity is Key: Buckert pursues media specialist position

Courtesy of Mrs. Buckert

Buckert leads a seminar on research for Walton High School’s AP Biology class. Taking in her new position as media specialist, Buckert looks forward to helping teachers and students in the library and encouraging reading across all grade levels.

Kat Shambaugh, Features editor

At the beginning of the school year, North Cobb Magnet students discovered surprising news: beloved former English teacher Mrs. Susan Buckert had transferred to Walton High School to pursue a media specialist position.

Buckert, who taught English at North Cobb for sixteen years, chose to return to school for her specialist degree in Library Sciences last year: “A couple years ago I realized I needed to shake things up and work differently, and I knew that I was going to go back to school to get my specialist anyways, so I decided to do library science and just kind of see where that took me. I advised the Yearbook staff for a long time. And one of the things that I know about myself is I am a really creative person and I need to work creatively.”

Also among her reasons for the switch, Buckert mentioned wanting “more time with [her] kids while they’re young.”

The job offer from Walton High School turned out to be more than just a happy coincidence for Buckert, who graduated from the school.

“When I went back, there were some familiar faces,” Buckert explains. “I saw people who taught there when I attended and others who graduated with me who are teaching there now, so that was all a nice surprise.”

Even with the excitement of the new job, memories of North Cobb are still bittersweet for the former teacher.

With a nostalgic air, Buckert reflected on her time at NC: “I grew up at North Cobb. I mean I was 22 and only four years older than the seniors now when I started, so people like Mrs. Foster and Mrs. Lawson, they shaped me as a person and as the teacher that I am. I really miss the people the most and that’s what I was most sad about, that I didn’t get to say goodbye to so many people because it all happened so quickly.”

Nevertheless, Buckert remains positive about her choice to move: “For sure, I miss a lot of things but I think it’s important in life for me personally to do different things. It would be very easy for me to never change because change is difficult for me but I think it’s a good growth opportunity for me as a person. And I love learning. Like I always need to be learning, so learning to do something different but still in the realm of education has been really positive.”

As the media specialist position in the 21st century prepares for dramatic changes, Buckert looks forward to staying on the edge of trends: “I got really excited because there’s been a paradigm shift in the library and its role in the school. The 21st century library is not the place where you’re supposed to be quiet and study, but it’s supposed to be the classroom in the middle of the school, and I got excited about the idea of being able to use my creativity to support teachers. I’m going to start a book club and sponsor the Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl team. And we have regulars who come back and they want recommendations about what to read, and that’s been nice to build those relationships. I’m passionate about reading and even though I’m sad to have left, I’m excited about the opportunity to further encourage reading in positive way.”