FBLA kicks off school year with ice cream social

Nadia Butt

FBLA club sponsor Mrs. Jolene Render gives speech to club about future field trip plans.

Nadia Butt, Reporter

Future Business Leaders of America club’s first meeting (FBLA) took place in Ms. Render’s room 2010 on August 18. This meeting not only included an ice cream social, but a lively discussion regarding club t-shirts ideas, club positions, and future field trips.                

Newly elected Club Vice President, Tierra Addison, gives speech, while Club President Danielle Kelly watches on.
Nadia Butt
Nadia Butt
FBLA members chat quietly within their own group of friends, during the lull before the start of the meeting.
Nadia Butt
Mrs. Render scoops out ice cream for club members.
Nadia Butt
FBLA members listen attentively during the speeches of their future club officers.
Nadia Butt

“If you’re reading this, then you’re already in FBLA…” was one of the more accepted ideas for a t-shirt slogan. This was a reference to popular rapper, Drake’s new album, If You’re Reading This, Then It’s Too Late. Other ideas included the use of the snapchat symbol and other implications of pop culture.

Ms. Render, club sponsor and introduction to drafting and design teacher, appointed Danielle Kelly as club President. Other officers, such as Vice President Tierra Addison, were elected democratic style via a vote from club members. After the votes for officer candidates were counted, the newly elected officers gave speeches to give an idea of what their plans were for the new year.

“This is always an awesome event, because we partner off with other schools to share ideas and kick off the season,” Ms. Render said of the plans for FBLA’s first field trip to a motivational rally in Perry, Georgia. The club plans on taking approximately 50 people during the school day. This field trip will start off the year for FBLA, and will allow FBLA clubs from other schools to meet to discuss their plans for the year.

“It’s an important cub to join. You can receive scholarships, and it’s recognized nationwide,” Render said about why students should join FBLA.