Eighth grade night inspires new talent

Philip Wynne

Sophomore Kaylin Altman gazes into the sunset as she embraces the North Cobb Marching Band environment and reflects upon her time at NCHS.

Philip Wynne, Reporter, Photographer

Among the giant sea of navy, orange, and white proudly known as the North Cobb Marching Band, there were some aspiring young musicians wishing to learn their ways. This past football game on August 28 involving North Cobb and North Gwinnett overshadowed another event going on at the time: the 8th Grade Night for Marching band. This experience allows 8th Graders to experience the football game by enabling them to follow the same routine as the marchers.

Eighth Grade students from Awtrey, Barber, and Palmer experience first hand what it means to be part of the NCHS band family.
Philip Wynne

The North Cobb 8th Grade holds this event annually at a home football game. Sophomore Kaylin Altman, had a student tag along with her throughout the night. She explains, “He’s an eighth grader named Liam from Barber middle school, where I went. Liam and I knew each other from earlier years, so it’s less awkward to show him around the field.” Kaylin expressed a lot of enthusiasm as she believes everybody enjoyed their time: “Judging from the gigantic smiles and absolutely pure laughter around every honk of a brass instrument, I’d say the eighth graders are most definitely enjoying their time at NCHS!”

Although some students joined marching band despite going to 8th grade night, curiosity arose around the question if 8th grade night really influences a decision. Kaylin had previously gone to 8th grade night and comments, “It completely changed my view on marching band completely. I knew then and there that this is what I wanted to do, and i made a life changing decision, to do what I love most. I also attended my freshman year, which let me get it from the other perspective.”

Kaylin hopes Liam considers the night and hopefully make the decision to join the marching band :“Liam was considering at the start of the evening, and now I believe he is fully wanting to become a part of this band.”

The North Cobb marching band 8th grade night offers a fun and unique experience for all 8th graders interested in becoming a part of the band. The night enables the students to create an opinion on the band and whether or not they wish to be in it.

Kaylin explains the night best as she expresses, “From the start of eighth grade night, I didn’t want to join the marching band. By the start of halftime, I was smiling bigger than I ever had. This is what I love doing. I can completely say that I am 100% happy being a part of the Warrior nation.”