The road to championships: McHugh and Woodruff share experiences

Philip Wynne, Reporter, Photographer

Every athlete knows the feeling in the pit of their stomach when they arrive for a competition. They sense the mixed emotions flooding in; surges of adrenaline, weary nerves from the previous sleepless night. Imagine multiplying those emotions and one understands the pressure of competing in a state final. Junior volleyball player Jenna Woodruff played in a state final and achieved her goal of winning a state championship, while junior Patrick McHugh’s basketball career never brought him to the big game. Woodruff knows how she felt when she won her title, McHugh can only imagine the pride.

Athletes require numerous hours of preparation and training for success. McHugh explains, “I put a great deal of time in the weight room, building my strength. I also spend hours dribbling and shooting.”

According to McHugh, preparation becomes motivation while playing. “I just know my hard work will pay off and I will prove haters wrong. When doubts come into my mind, I remember that hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.” McHugh said.

Patrick McHugh embraces his fellow church members after service. McHugh mentioned, “I am very thankful for their support.”
Philip Wynne

During the playoff games, pressure surrounds the athletes as they all share the same common goal of winning. One athlete may let their nerves get the best of them and choke under pressure, whereas others could underestimate their abilities.

Woodruff recalls from the 2014 season, “I think everyone, including the whole team, thought that we wouldn’t get past the Walton game because we knew they were the one’s who won the state championship the past few years.”

The Lady Warriors overcame their doubts and defeated Walton to move on in the playoffs and reach the state finals. With the state championship title on the line, numerous thoughts of previous success went through Woodruff’s head. Woodruff recalls, “I was just thinking how we got this far in the state playoffs, and how I’m not ending this game without giving my all,” Woodruff said.

Woodruff said afterward she kept her mind clear and stayed focus the rest of the game. “There should be no distractions in order for one to perform to the best of their abilities,” she said.

McHugh thought similarly during the playoffs. “I have to try my hardest every game, trust my teammates, trust my coaches, and trust in The North Cobb System,” McHugh said.

Jenna Woodruff (right) poses with her teammates after winning the state final. Woodruff was very proud of her performance and is excited for the 2016 season.
Philip Wynne
Jenna Woodruff (right) poses with her teammates after winning the state final. Woodruff was very proud of her performance and is excited for the 2016 season.

After the state championship game finished, the Lady Warriors came out victorious as the 2014 state champions. When asked how she felt, Woodruff delivered her honest emotions, “It was exciting and meant so much to the volleyball girls. You have to work really hard and be good just to go to the finals, and even then that doesn’t mean you’ll get the title. So it’s hard to get and something I’ll carry on the rest of my life. It’s bittersweet though, like, I would love to live in the moments right after we won but we knew that we had to move on and start a new season later in the year.”

Although McHugh never played in a state final game, or won a state title, he wonders how he would feel with the title. McHugh imagines, “It would definitely become the highlight of my high school career. I would realize how all the work I put in paid off. I also know my fellow juniors and myself would have to work harder next year.”

All athletes thank several people for their success as it would not be possible without their support. McHugh would like to thank God for his health, his dad for pushing him to the best of his abilities, his mom for supporting him, as well as his coaches and teammates for continuously working hard. Woodruff would like to thank Coach Auld, Coach Hopp, her friends, family, and mostly her team. Both athletes look forward to what the future may bring.