Hoopcoming week peps up NC

Nadya Awino, Reporter, Photographer

For the first time since the 2012-2013 school year, Tribal Connections organized the first Hoopcoming Week. Leading up to a basketball game against Osborne on Friday, the week consisted of theme days, a pep rally, and even a dodgeball tournament.

“We really wanted to do hoopcoming because we only have one main even throughout the school year,” senior Aimen Choudhary said. Choudhary, head of the decoration committee, spent almost two months planning the event with other Tribal Connections members.

The week started off with “Squad Day,” where students could dress up as a famous group or match with their close friends. Students dressed up as the Powerpuff Girls, characters from the Proud Family, and the N.W.A. 

A dodgeball tournament was hosted on Monday to kick off Hoopcoming Week. After two hours, team Photogenic Reloaded came out on top. They received a trophy, and a bag filled with prizes.
Nadya Awino
A dodgeball tournament was hosted on Monday to kick off Hoopcoming Week. After two hours, team Photogenic Reloaded came out on top. They received a trophy and a bag filled with prizes.

Later, NC hosted an exciting dodgeball tournament, in which seven dodgeball teams competed for a small trophy and bragging rights, among other prizes. “No Hit Sherlock,” the “Average Joes,” the “Red Bulls,” the “Jon Bon Js,” “Photogenic Reloaded,” “YTS,” and “Band Form” battled from 6:30-8:30 in the old gym for the championship title. In the end, “Photogenic Reloaded” came out on top.

Senior Tre Kirklin, a “Photogenic” teammate, said, “It felt like we put our money where our mouths were. We told everyone we were going to win, and we backed it up on the court. I felt great about my performance. I felt like I did everything I could to help the team.”

The theme days continued, with students sporting their jerseys on Tuesday, their best clothes on Wednesday, and 90’s clothes on Thursday.

Students honored their favorite athletes on Tuesday with jersey day. Senior Kenny Ume paid homage to the Michigan State Spartans by sporting a Spartan jersey.
Nadya Awino

Finally, on Friday, NC gave a whole new meaning to “We Are Orange.” The spirit day helped excite students for the pep rally in the new gym during fourth period. After teachers participated in a three-point contest, the hoopcoming princes strutted out in their sashes and crowns.

A pep rally on Friday helped get students about the upcoming game that night. Senior Maliel Nwachkwu, pictured left with fellow seniors Bryce Folson, Kenny Ume, and Will Stallings, was crowned the 2016 Hoopcoming king.
Nadya Awino

Finally, the emcee announced the hoopcoming king: “Maliel Nwachkwu!” The crowd cheered as the senior approached the principal to receive his crown. After being crowned, Nwachkwu said, “Y’all guys are the best. I love you guys.”

That night, varsity basketball played the Osborne Cardinals. The Warriors won 68-51, improving to 6-2 in the region.

To end the week, the Warriors battled the Osborne Cardinals at home. NC took the win, ending the game 68-51.
Nadya Awino

With students calling Hoopcoming Week a success, Tribal Connections hopes to put on this event again next year.