Putt Putt club a hole in one at NC

Nabila Pranto

After setting up the scene for the game, the members grab their putters and putt away. Moore gives some advice on putting, “Just practice, it’s alright if you don’t hit every shot, as long as you can get one every once in awhile,” says Moore.

Last month, a unique club joined NC’s diverse plethora of extracurricular offerings. Senior Seth Moore hosted the premiere meeting of the NC putt putt club. Catering to a specific interest group, putt putt enthusiasts, the club’s modest initial success promises to continue flourishing.

Distinctly different than organizations such as debate team or S.A.V.E. club, the founding of the putt putt club shocked NC students and staff. AP Physics teacher and putt putt club sponsor Susan Ryan admits she “never heard of a club like that” before Moore approached her about sponsoring the group.

Senior and club president, Seth Moore, uses other resource, like textbooks and wooden planks to recreate the setting of a real putt putt playing area, making it easier to get the putt putt ball into the plastic cups which are used as the golf holes.
Nabila Pranto

Further contributing to the group’s novel premise, club members construct the putt putt holes and obstacles themselves. Using cups, textbooks, and meter sticks, members assemble different courses to challenge each other.

Moore, the club founder and president, did not start the group because he harbors an overwhelming passion and talent for golf. When asked about his reasoning for founding the club, Moore simply explained, “I just really like putt putt.”

The club concluded two meetings, and Moore admits each received limited attendance. Both he and Mrs. Ryan agree that the activities would proceed even more excitingly if more students attended.

Club members waste no time and start getting all the things needed to play out as soon as the club starts, “Putting is something I really like to do, I’m not as great at it, but I think it’s something that’s a lot of fun and I wanted to make something that people can come and hang out,” explains Moore.
Nabila Pranto

Interested students should not let lack of golf or putt putt experience scare them from trying out the club. Ryan assures students that the members welcome anyone “just looking to have fun.”

Anyone wishing to flex his or her putt putt skills should join the groups’ meetings on the first and third tuesday of each month in Ryan’s room, 3060. Whether seeking fierce competition or a relaxing hobby, individuals will enjoy spending time with the clubs’ enthusiastic members.

Welcoming all students to his group, Moore assures interested individuals, “if you suck, that’s even better because then I might actually win!” As the club members bustle around the room during the meeting, their excitement and energy grows contagious to anyone present.

Blending creative engineering and simple diversion, Putt Putt club appeals to any NC student with free time on Tuesday afternoons. Far from on par with NC’s usual after school activities, Putt Putt club will grow into one of the school’s most sought after groups.