NC transfers students to Kennesaw Mountain, combine mascots

Kennesaw Mountain and NC have merged the two mascots, the new mascot will represent both NC and Kennesaw Mountain. The administrators take pride in the new mascot, they hope it will bring peace to both student bodies and will unite the schools.

Avery Rice

Caroline Long, Reporter, Photographer

As the NC population grows, the building unfortunately does not grow with it. The county originally built NC in 1958 for a much smaller population, the new buildings add more room, but not enough.

Mid-summer of 2015, Principal Horton and the principal of Kennesaw Mountain, Dr. Mark Trachtenbroit met to talk over a new plan starting August of 2016. One-third of NC’s population will leave for Kennesaw Mountain in the merging of the two schools. The students who reside in Legacy Park who do not participate in the magnet program, will transfer to Kennesaw Mountain.

NC and Kennesaw Mountains Athletics will merge, the football team, cheer squad, and all other sports from the two schools will become one. “This is dumb, we can not work together. NC’s athletics are good and Kennesaw Mountain’s aren’t, they will hold us back,” sophomore Cole Bracken said.

Principal Horton explains his excitement, “For years NC and Kennesaw Mountain have had a rivalry and it will finally be over. With our strong athletics and their new facilities, our new school will be unstoppable.”

The administrators anticipate the merge, but the student body remains infuriated.  Junior Sarvia Martinez states why she thinks the plan is unfair and defends her anger, “Kennesaw Mountain is our rival, Warriors shouldn’t have to go to Kennesaw Mountain and walk the halls with the Mustangs. The administration decided this without asking any of our opinions, the students didn’t have a voice in the decision. It’s our school, we should have a say.”

Principal of Kennesaw Mountain, Dr. Mark Trachtenbroit explains the pros of the merging, “NC will be losing many Warriors, but the building will not be as full as it has been. Teachers will be able to focus more intently on the students, and the board will be able to budget resourcefully. Kennesaw Mountain will gain athletic football players to better our program and hopefully we will be able to go to playoffs.”

The Warriors understand that there are pros of the merging; the football team will excel because of the money Kennesaw Mountain will add to their success. The Warriors see only the cons of the merging.

Superintendent Christopher Ragsdale explains the cons of the unity between the two schools, “The Warriors don’t want to go Kennesaw Mountain, and the Mustangs don’t want the Warriors to come, so there will be resentment and hostility on both sides. Both schools are doing the best they can, we want the schools to be the best they can possibly be. It will take a couple years for there to be no hostility, but we are positive once students calm down, the plan will work perfectly. “

In spirit of the announcement, Kennesaw Mountain and NC have merged the two mascots into one. The merging brings controversy to both schools, the administration hopes the students anger dies down before the new school year.

April Fools, you fool!

XOXO, The Chant