An inside look at the cockroaches of NC

+Principal+Bucky+Horton+negotiating+with+the+leader+of+the+cockroach+clan%2C+Cucaracha+Marr%C3%B3n.+%E2%80%9CReaching+an+agreement+that+works+for+everyone+was+the+most+important+part+of+the+meeting%2C%E2%80%9D+said+Marr%C3%B3n.+The+population%2C+as+most+students+can+clearly+see%2C+dwells+in+the+gym+area+and+the+600+halls.

Avery Rice

Principal Bucky Horton negotiating with the leader of the cockroach clan, Cucaracha Marrón. “Reaching an agreement that works for everyone was the most important part of the meeting,” said Marrón. The population, as most students can clearly see, dwells in the gym area and the 600 halls.

Nadya Awino, Photographer

North Cobb, founded in 1958, gave students lost in the overcrowded school system a home. Soon, faces from all over the Acworth-Kennesaw area filled the halls; more importantly, the world’s most adaptable pests found their way into the cracks and crevices of NC. Cockroaches have been a part of the Warrior Nation since the beginning, but no one ever asked them how it feels to be a warrior.

After an exclusive interview with the head of the cockroach community, Cucaracha Marrón, The Chant gained insight into their complicated hierarchy. Before construction began for NC, cockroaches lived solitary lives.

“It used to be that we stopped living with our parents after the first shedding (about six months in human time), but now that we’ve started living in communes, families stay together all their lives,” Marrón said.

Marrón, a tenth generation leader, took the throne in late July, as they choose a new head every year because of the cockroach’s short lifespan. She believes in keeping her people as tight-knit as possible.

The makeup of North Cobb’s population based on race. During the 2012-2013 school year, there were more cockroaches than multiracial students at NC. Obviously, these creatures are an important part of the general public.
Avery Rice

Pamela Roach, a council elder, said, “We were especially concerned for the new school year to start because after the Great Extermination of 2014, we haven’t been able to get our numbers back up. I think Cucaracha has worked out a plan with administration to keep both parties safe.”

After meeting with principal Bucky Horton, the faction agreed to keep their living space limited to the gym area and the 600 halls. In turn, Horton promises to limit the number of cockroach traps and exterminators in those areas.

“We want to keep the school clean, but we also don’t want to exile a community that was here before we were,” Horton said.

Visit these resilient insects in the gym or catch them roaming around the science hall.  

“I believe we have figured out a way to live happily amongst the NC students without fear of retribution,” Marrón said.

April fool’s, you fool!

XOXO, The Chant