Marching band holds annual family day, prepares for upcoming season

Band+students+meet+in+sectionals+after+performing+for+their+parents.+

Rachel Maxwell

Band students meet in sectionals after performing for their parents.

Shannon Rapp, Reporter, Photographer

NC’s marching band held its annual family day celebration on Saturday, August 13.  As they celebrated their band camp achievements, marching band members also provided their parents with a glimpse into their newest show, The Chase.

“Family day is really inspirational because you work hard to get the work you have put forth through the practices right [which] gives you the best picture of the marching band imaginable,” sophomore clarinet player Gina Trotta said.

The students spent around six hours perfecting their opening act as well as the ballad, a well known song by artist Sam Smith. Parents arrived between five and five-thirty in the evening and the boosters served a dinner provided by Publix Deli.

Color guard members set up their equipment with elegance in preparation for the performance.
Rachel Maxwell

Since the beginning of the year, the band continues to work toward the best show possible.

“We are farther along than we have ever been before. I think our marching style has definitely improved,” color guard sponsor Renee Brown said.

Band director Sheldon Frazier began the evening by showing parents what their children learned throughout the stay at band camp, including how to block, how to march, and basic color guard spins. Finally, the marching band ended the evening by first performing two acts in The Chase segmentally, then playing all acts together.

“It was a terrific day full of fun and lots of hard work,” Frazier said.