WARNING FRESHMEN: The student section has rules

Esteban Alarcon, Reporter, Photographer

The NC student section, like most other schools, enforces the golden rule of student hierarchy: freshmen in the back. The rule qualifies as one of the understood laws of the student section, along with saving seats and no sitting. Seeing a freshman in the front row of the student section may occur less commonly than seeing a competent presidential candidate.

A number of freshmen stand in the back, or even out of the student section giving off less enthusiasm for the game than a nicely painted wall. Other freshmen will screech “GO WARRIORS!” like barbarians running towards their potential dinner for the night. Freshmen who give off good energy and crave victory, disregarding placement in the stands, happily integrate with the sophomores, juniors, and even seniors.

Though one may look at NC’s student section as a less extreme version of the caste system, the “Seniority” law applies most often. Students in the stands practice the philosophy of “Seniors in the front, freshmen in the back” as if the words came directly from Aristotle, Ghandi, or Drake’s mouths. Respect for the rule from freshmen results in harmony and enjoyment throughout the student section.

One must understand that the purpose of the guidelines does not intend to offend or belittle freshmen, but to show respect to the seniors who hope to make the best of their last year in high school. Speaking fresh out of freshman year, I enjoyed and participated in the energetic hurrah for our team’s victory, regardless of my place in the bleachers, and never complained about the rules. I appreciated the passion the seniors displayed for the game by painting their faces and wearing flamboyant costumes for the sake of “The Warrior Nation.”

“As you get older in high school, you earn more respect among your peers due to experience, and with that comes more opportunities to enjoy yourself, like sitting in the front of the student section. Freshmen, though not their fault, lack the experience and therefore do not deserve to sit in the front.” Tucker Hall says, one of the seniors who paints their chest in the name of victory.

Never, in my North Cobb history, has there been an issue concerning said rule. When such guidelines remain obeyed, the enjoyment of the game, of the atmosphere and of the people comes easily. With everyone respecting this golden rule, and freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors enjoying the game, harmony will emerge.