The Chant’s declassified school survival guide: Secret pathways at NC

Students at NC know the struggle of navigating through the halls while running up countless flights of stairs to reach class in just six minutes. Still, certain pathways go unnoticed and provide a far faster and easier way to reach classes while avoiding the masses.

Tara Anastasoff

Tara Anastasoff

Tara Anastasoff

Tara Anastasoff, Reporter, Photographer

TO PE/HEALTH:

If at the Freshman Academy…

Route 1:

Starting point: freshman carpool lane door (near lunchroom)

Landmarks to pass: preschool playground, greenhouse, Football field, Football changing rooms, tomahawk paintings on ground, giant puddle or crater of dirt depending on the weather

Directions: Exit through the door to the left of the lunchroom and enjoy the fresh air by walking past the playground and the greenhouse. Head down the bleachers and turn right past the tomahawk painting on the ground and Football changing rooms. From here, follow the path straight down into the Health building.

FA route 1

Route 2:

Starting point: main entrance of freshman academy

Landmarks to pass: senior courtyard area, hall of windows, Malfunction Junction, short set of stairs

Directions: Exit through the main entrance of the Freshman Academy and turn right, then follow the sloping path towards the Senior Courtyard (under the walkway). Enter through the door on the left (across from gazebo) and turn right into Malfunction Junction. Continue going forwards and out the door, then walk forwards and turn left into the Health building.

FA route 2

If in the language building…

Route 1:

Starting point: smaller stairwell (yellow walls, black stairs) located near the computer labs

Landmarks to pass: side stairwell, green bushes, stairs, tomahawk painting, Football changing rooms, puddle of water or dirt (depending on the weather)

Directions: Head down the stairs, which will lead to a door that exits into the back courtyard area. Turn left and walk past the bushes and the air conditioning unit. Head down the stairs and walk past the tomahawk paintings on the ground and Football changing rooms. Turn right at the corner and continue to follow the pathway down until the Health building.

LANG route 1

Route 2:

Starting point: stairs near Japanese class (Malfunction Junction)

Landmarks to pass: Malfunction Junction, small set of stairs

Directions: From the stairs across the Japanese classroom (leads to Malfunction Junction), walk out the door leading outside under the stairs. From the mound of dirt, turn left and walk to the Health and PE building.

LANG route 2

Route 3:

Starting point: stairs across from bathrooms

Landmarks to pass: NC logo painting

Directions: Enter the hallway across from the bathrooms in the language hall, turn right and head down the stairs. At the bottom of the stairs, exit the doors on the left that lead outside. Follow the path down to the Health building.

LANG route 3

If in the Deal building…

Route 1:

Starting Point: Band, Chorus, Orchestra, or Art

Landmarks to pass: Band/Chorus/Orchestra/Art

Directions: Follow the hallway until the doors leading outside by the bathrooms. Turn left into the back area of the school and continue forward to the freshman carpool lane. Enter the breezeway and continue forward past the playground and greenhouse. Head down the bleachers and turn right past the tomahawk painting on the ground. From here, follow the path straight down into the Health building.

DEAL route 1

Designed to help explore the school and cut down time in the halls, these routes direct lost students around the school in the most efficient way possible. With the pictures as a guide, directions to follow, and specific landmarks to pass, the once confusing layout of the school becomes simple and easy to navigate.