#Thanks (Michelle) Obama: New lunch regulations cause social media uproar

The freshman cafeteria sees more students bringing lunches since the new federal lunch regulations began implementation on August 4.

Tarleshia Jean Pierre

Fatima Elfakahany, Reporter, Photographer

Students at North Cobb continue adapting to different lunches due to First Lady Michelle Obama’s new policies regarding school food.

Obama’s “Let’s Move!” campaign, introduced in 2010 and launched in 2012, aims to reduce childhood obesity by implementing healthier food in school, clearer food labels, and increased physical activity among children. According to its website, the campaign hopes to reach the more than 32 million students currently enrolled in the National School Lunch Program.

While students first took to social media to complain about the situation last school year, it has increased dramatically since the start of the 2014-2015 school year, with #stopmichelle as their slogan and “Thanks Michelle Obama” as their catchphrase. Many North Cobb students seem to share the sentiment.

“I like the tweets because if we want to eat and get fat then we should be able to. She shouldn’t have the right to change our food,” said sophomore Ryan Diloreto.

Freshmen Tajanae Johnson seconded this opinion: “Some people don’t want to eat healthy food, and it won’t really help anyway,” adding that “the food isn’t even filling.”

Indeed, as part of the initiative, schools regulate the amount of food students receive in the lunch line. Aware of the program, junior Christina Vivona finds this fact upsetting.

“It’s horrible because not only does the food not taste as good but the portion sizes are smaller. I’m a growing person, and I need to eat real food,” Vivona said.

Photo copy editor Judy Stubblefield polled 100 students about the popular hashtag #stopmichelle.
Judy Stubblefield

Many students believe that the lunches fail to change anything, besides a dramatic increase of students bringing their lunch from home rather than buying it at school.

“They [the tweeters] are right, because the food is disgusting, and I want the good food back. It doesn’t even work because I can just go home and eat whatever I want after,” said junior Zain Corduroy.

While most students eating the new lunches remain frustrated and upset, others disagree with the tweeters.

“People should just chill,” said senior Sophia Webb. “It’s not that bad, the pizza’s good, it’s always been good. I like whole wheat stuff. If you don’t like it, bring your own lunch.”

The campaign continues, regardless of student opinion. The tweets may continue or they may die down as students get used to the changes. However, more change might be underway. According to the Government Accountability Office and the National School Lunch Program, more than a million kids stopped buying school lunches due to the new standards, and a Kentucky school dropped the program altogether for that reason.

While Obama’s new campaign plays out students remain dissatisfied.