Homecoming week kicks off with men’s volleyball tournament

Mackenzie Union

Tucker Hall bumps the ball over to earn his team a point and put them one step closer to victory.

Denise Thomas, Reporter

NC kicked off the 2016 Homecoming festivities with the annual Men’s Volleyball Tournament on October 10, and every team could not get their eyes off of the trophy.

A total of 14 teams showed up to play: Thicks n’Twix, The Rowdy Gentlemen, Republic, The Go Squad, Honey Fam, The Races FGB, The Packers, Savage 6, Tomahawk Today, Ugly Squad, The Goonies, Regina’s Daughters, and The Finesse Kids. Eight teams played at a time with two courts in the new and old gym.

Excited fans Ashley Davis, Jules Shelly, Caroline Long, and Kallie Dever smile with posters to represent their team, Team Tomahawk.
Mackenzie Union

Four pools split the teams into groups: Pools A, B, C, and D. Each team played ten minute matches against the other teams in their pool to decide their record. The teams with the most wins in each bracket then received the highest seeds, with the first two receiving a bye in the single elimination tournament. Teams played until only two remained.

Students from all grades supported their teams by creating posters, wearing t-shirts, and cheering throughout each match.

“The energy was lit especially with our fans, they got ready in about five minutes for a deep tournament,” member of The Ugly Squad and senior Johnathon Johnson said.  

Competition rarely strikes without frustration as several students placed their losses at the fault of the referees and other students. Players felts as though favoritism existed between referees and specific teams.

Clay Wright and Andrew Greckel block the other teams hit to solidify a win.
Mackenzie Union

“We were winning until they started to cheat us,” Nayari Dampier, a junior and member of Honey Fam, who placed in second overall, said.  

The final match, The Finesse Kids against Honey Fam, remained close the entire time, leaving the audience and players anxious with every play. The match ended with a win by The Finesse Kids, 26-24.

“I knew we had a good chance to win all along,” The Finesse Kids member and senior Dylan Stanhope said.

Students Cassidy Hurley, Hunter Parrish, Dylan Stanhope, Shannon Callan, Bradley Squires, Will Lovett, and Brett Squires from the winning team, The Finesse Kids, pose for the glorifying picture to represent their win.
Mackenzie Union

Students, players, and referees argued with Coach Bell and Coach Sansing over the calls made in matches. Bell  interfered and told students and referees to stop arguing or everyone would be dismissed.

“I just wanted everyone to fighting and have a good time,” Bell said.

Overall, regardless of wins or losses, the tournament supplied students and teachers with an enjoyable night.

“We may not have won, but we still had lots of fun coming out,” Carlos Alvarado, senior and player for The Rowdy Gentlemen, said.