New Year’s resolutions: The ultimate test of will power

Lindsey O'Neill, Reporter

With the start of every New Year, students embrace the quest for self-improvement.  As NC students begin a new semester in 2017, they discover that upholding their New Year’s Resolutions may not be as effortless as predicted. NC students share their plans for self-improvement and rate their progress in fulfilling their resolutions.

“Eat right and get my body fit. It [the process of getting started on my resolution] has been kind of slow, but is starting to pick up. But I have seen a difference and am already feeling better,” Magnet Senior Kesha Perkins said.

Perkins and an overwhelming portion of her peers at NC, plan to improve their own physical fitness and health. All in all, a more in shape and healthier lifestyle primarily appeals to students at the start of the New Year. With the busy schedules of NC students, including Perkin’s with her being a member in the NC Magnet Program, maintaining one’s dedication to their resolution can prove to be an arduous task. However, Perkins has proved the task not to be an impossible one if a positive mindset is in place.

NC students have come up with less popular, more unique resolutions to ensure a better 2017 than 2016. Aside from improvement in one’s academics, these NC students’ resolutions include: spending more time with family, getting off of one’s phone to prevent further loss of sleep, working to say no less frequently, and getting more involved in extracurricular activities.

“I was worried my Japanese teacher didn’t like me, so my resolution was to make a good impression… and it worked,” freshman Jessica Dang said.

Dang fulfilled her resolution by getting off on a better foot with her Japanese teacher, and has already started off the New Year on a very high note.

With the block schedule in place at NC, students are off to a brand new start not just with their classes but with themselves. NC students are aware of their strengths and weaknesses and look to New Year’s Resolutions as an opportunity for them to acknowledge their trouble areas and reverse old habits.

Dependability, passion, and commitment are three traits which can be seen amongst students at NC. These traits will not only lead those individuals to accomplishing their New Year’s Resolutions, but ultimately to all the milestones which lay ahead.

“[My New Year’s Resolution is to] Be a better me,” said freshman Shammor Knight.