Let me school you, Mrs. DeVos

In her Senate hearing, DeVos stated that she believes states should hold the authority to determine whether or not schools should carry guns for safety purpose. She cited a school in Wyoming that probably possessed a gun “to protect from potential grizzlies.

Lindsey O'Neill

In her Senate hearing, DeVos stated that she believes states should hold the authority to determine whether or not schools should carry guns for safety purpose. She cited a school in Wyoming that probably possessed a gun “to protect from potential grizzlies.”

Andrew Gasparini, Reporter, Photographer

American educators and students alike should prepare to duck and cover under their desks with the possible confirmation of Secretary of Education nominee, Betsy DeVos.

DeVos never attended public school during her time in the education system, displaying her detachment from the majority of American students. President Trump’s nominee for the smallest cabinet-level department clearly prefers private and charter schools over their public counterparts, and her schooling policies demonstrate her lack of comprehension that public schools do not fit the private school mold. Additionally, all of DeVos’ children studied in private institutions which indicates a lack of vested interest in the lives of millions of students.

Furthermore, DeVos holds no certification in education, and she possesses no experience as a teacher. Not only does the Department of Education oversee America’s schools, but it also manages the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and other national collegiate financial programs. The only knowledge that DeVos harbors regarding monetary actions consists of privatizing public schools. This proves her lack of qualifications for the role of Secretary of Education.

DeVos’ stance on certain hot topic issues, including allowing guns in schools for security purposes and possibly cutting the national education budget, contradicts the stated goals of the Education Department.

Our mission is to promote student achievement and preparation for global competitiveness by fostering educational excellence and ensuring equal access,” the Department of Education said.

Many people across the nation question why DeVos received Trump’s nomination for a position she cannot fill effectively. In reality, DeVos’ family supports the Republican party with heavy financial donations (an expected amount of $200 million), and, with limited roles in education-based organizations, Trump believes she will hold this office in his best interest. However, Trump’s plans include decreasing the size of the Education Department which limits DeVos to a figurehead, or yes man, under his administration. Acting as a puppet, DeVos would damage the already fractured schooling structure by enabling Trump’s call to scrap her designated agency.

The American education system lies in need of repair. The next Secretary of Education must prepare themselves with the proper tools for the daunting job. America’s schools demand the leadership of someone who will improve their current conditions by working collaboratively with teachers and personally understanding the struggles of  today’s students. DeVos cannot do this.

To contact Georgia’s senator and US Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions member, Johnny Isakson, call (202)224-3643 or email him.