Adored NC staple Dr. McCoy retires after 36 years

December 30, 2013

Dr.+McCoy%2C+Magnet+biology+teacher+and+champion+of+science%2C+has+served+as+a+lodestone+for+North+Cobb%2C+attracting+students+to+the+schools+Magnet+program+just+for+the+opportunity+to+teach+them.+

Dr. McCoy, Magnet biology teacher and champion of science, has served as a lodestone for North Cobb, attracting students to the school’s Magnet program just for the opportunity to teach them.

After a 36-year teaching career, with 32 at NC, beloved biology teacher and science department head Dr. McCoy bids adieu to the Warrior Nation to begin his well-earned retirement.

“He was a really great teacher, and he really motivated me to do my work. He’s a very sweet person, and I never wanted to disappoint him,” sophomore Christina Vivona said.

Even as a youngster, McCoy displayed immediate interest in science and the natural world, but teaching never sparked his interest until obtaining his master’s degree at the University of Georgia (UGA). While pursuing a Zoology degree, he received an assistant teaching offer and instructed Biology teachers in the program. After experiencing an instructor’s life, McCoy decided to merge his first love with his newfound passion. He later earned a Ph.D. in Science Education from Georgia State University, while also earning the nickname “Bones.”

The skillful teacher received several honors in regards to his extraordinary teaching. He won Cobb County Teacher of the Year and worked for two years as Science instructor for the Governor’s Honors Program. He also worked for four years as Assistant Professor of Science Education for NASA’s John F. Kennedy Space Center. Other honors include the Outstanding Biology Teacher in Georgia, The Atlanta Honor Teacher award, The Georgia Science Teacher of the Year Award, and the National Evolution Education Award and several others.

In addition to several awards of recognition, he has received the Fulbright Scholarship, which accessed him a one-year teaching job at the Ecclesbourne School in Derbyshire, England. He also received a full scholarship from the Earthwatch Foundation to voyage to Kenya and study elephants in Tsavo National Park.

Dr. McCoy also fights to preserve Science Education, hoping that science and religious faiths can coexist and accept one another. After the Cobb County School District (CCSD) asserted to remove evolution education in school, McCoy testified against the action and asked that CCSD remove anti-evolution stickers from biology books. He was rewarded by the American Association for the Advancement of Science Award for Scientific Freedom and Responsibility.

“But the best moment for me came when one of my ninth graders, who had been very skeptical about evolution, told me, ‘You know, evolution makes sense the way you explained it. God had to get all these things here somehow. Maybe He used evolution to do it.’ I couldn’t agree more,” McCoy said.

Although McCoy has achieved much success for himself, he also helped NC students strengthen their scientific potential. After The U.S. Department of Education selected him as a Christa McAuliffe Fellowship winner, NC students published a statewide science magazine titled Georgia Biology. He sponsored the Science Club for 31 years, the Science Olympiad team for 25 years, and assisted over 2500 students in science research projects.

While contributing to the science department, McCoy has also sponsored the NC prom, spoken at the Baccalaureate Ceremony, and received yearbook dedications twice.

On behalf of the NC staff and student body, Warrior Nation sends a huge “thank you” to a remarkable teacher and striving individual.