Magnet students experience summer European adventure

August 11, 2015

This past summer, NC Magnet students and teachers traveled to Europe from June 2-12. The participants spent three days in Ireland, two hours in Wales, two days in England and two days in France. While on the trip, travel company Education First (EF) tours gave students the opportunity to visit famous buildings and landmarks, personally exploring and learning its history and context of each one.

IMG_2606Bethel Mamo
On the second day of the trip, the travelers visited a bog village museum in Ireland. They roamed the museum in small groups, getting a glimpse of past tenors lives.

IMG_2646Bethel Mamo
The travelers went around the Ring of Kerry and visited the countryside. “In Ireland, I liked going around the Ring of Kerry. Riding around Ireland and seeing the sheep herding demonstration and going around the shops,” AP Human Geography teacher James Auld said.

IMG_2682Bethel Mamo
The participants went to Blarney Castle in Cork, Ireland. After walking around, most chose walk up the castle’s narrow stairs and kiss the Blarney Stone.

IMG_2698Bethel Mamo
Once in Dublin, everyone had approximately three hours of free time. Teachers permitted them to freely explore shops, so long as they stayed in groups of three. Once finished, they met at The Spire of Dublin, or more commonly known as “The Stiletto in the Ghetto.”

IMG_2823 (1)Bethel Mamo
While on the bus visiting WIndsor Castle, the group saw some of the most famous monuments in London.

IMG_2833 (1)Bethel Mamo
Some of the travelers visited the Windsor Palace and view the paintings inside. Afterwards, they used their given free time to explore the shops and buy souvenirs.

IMG_2815 (1)Bethel Mamo
In England, students viewed and rode the London Eye. “I got to see a lot of the important parts of London; I saw O2 Arena, The Big Ben, House of Parliament, and Buckingham Palace,” junior Madison Kemp said.

IMG_2939Bethel Mamo
Before checking into the hotel, the group stopped in Paris, France to see the Eiffel Tower. EF allowed them another chance to view it the next day, this time receiving permission to walk to the top.

IMG_2971Bethel Mamo
On the last full day of the trip, everyone visited the Louvre and saw some of the most famous paintings in the world.

IMG_3041Bethel Mamo
Not only were the paintings beautiful, but even the ceilings proved a work of art.

IMG_3061 (1)Bethel Mamo
Due to the long line in front of the Mona Lisa, museum visitors cut in line in order to see and take pictures of the painting.

IMG_3067Bethel Mamo
After the Louvre, people took a snack break and ate crepes.

IMG_3090Bethel Mamo
The last attraction of the trip was the Sacre-Coeur Basilica in Paris. Chemistry teacher Jordan Tidrick said, “it was absolutely beautiful inside.”

IMG_3091Bethel Mamo
Students saw all of Paris from the top of the stairway to the Sacre-Coeur.