Warrior varsity football dominates over Harrison Hoyas, 49-27

Tarleshia Jean-Pierre

Warrior’s defense prevents the Hoyas from gaining any yards.

Andrew Lubbers, Reporter

Warrior varsity football team executed in the middle quarters and scored 35 straight points to pull away from Harrison after a shockingly slow start on Friday night. NC dominated all three phases of the game and defeated the Hoyas 49-27.

“All week we worked on containing Harrison’s quarterback, and throughout the game we had to adjust. He was exposing us,” junior defensive end Keano Aitken said following the victory.

Warriors secondary drops back into coverage.

Tarleshia Jean-Pierre

On the first drive of the game, Harrison drove down the field 80 yards, capped by quarterback Lorenzo Nunez’s 23-yard touchdown. The crowd silenced, and Harrison gained momentum, but after trading defensive stands, the Warriors tied the game as senior quarterback Tyler Queen connected with senior receiver Deon Dodd for a 36-yard touchdown.

“I was so open, it felt like catching a punt,” Dodd said after the play.

The Hoyas answered with a 65-yard touchdown drive, taking a 14-7 lead. From that point on, North Cobb never looked back. Sophomore running back C.J. Cole ran touchdowns of 23 and 83 yards, sophomore receiver Quannie Green hauled in two touchdown receptions, and senior safety DeVaughn Harris returned a fumble for a score, giving the Warriors a 42-14 lead.

Cole accumulated 176 of the Warriors’ 364 rushing yards, made possible by outstanding play from the offensive line.

“We saw our opponent, studied them, and executed. The O-line went hard every play, and C.J. hit the holes with force,” said junior offensive guard Zach Dudley.

The Hoyas scored two touchdowns in the 4th quarter, but sophomore running back Elijah Hairston scampered for a 31-yard touchdown to halt the score at 49-27.

The game became interrupted in the second half when a half-naked streaker appeared out of the woods. The disrobed boy ran across the 35-yard line, before turning around and darting back into the woods.

Senior drum major Mia Jordan conducts honorary band members and prospective Warrior students on 8th grade band night.

Tarleshia Jean-Pierre