Obama administration makes student safety high priority by withholding funds from colleges

Sabrina Kerns

Colleges and universities have undervalued the voices of students who speak out against sexual violence, but that is expected to change thanks to a new bill signed by the Obama Administration.

Sabrina Kerns, Reporter

Colleges make student safety a priority after stricter requirements were added to the Violence Against Women Act and the Obama administration threatened to withhold funds from schools that do not protect its students.

On March 7, 2013, President Obama signed a bill that strengthened the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). The bill included amendments to the Clery Act that give additional rights to student victims of sexual violence, dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking.

Originally known as the Campus Security Act, the Clery Act requires colleges and universities in the United States to disclose information about crime on their campuses. Some of the requirements include, they must publish an annual security report, have a public crime log, and issue timely warnings about Clery Act crimes.

Because of the Obama Administration’s threat, many colleges and universities have started to create new products, systems, and policies to better protect their students. Many colleges plan on using apps that students will be able to download on their mobile devices. The app would allow students to let a group of friends or family members virtually monitor their journey via GPS, and they can set a timer that alerts authorities, in which, if the clock expires before reaching a certain destination.

“It’s important that these universities have taken a greater approach to protect their students. Students, both male and female, are speaking out against these crimes, and it made a huge impact,” senior Ashona Husbands said.

The University of Massachusetts, Providence College, and Brown University all recommended an app called Rave Guardian. Williams College, however, plans to use the free app, Circle of 6, and will encourage students to download it beginning this fall.

Some colleges and universities chose to change their policies about on-campus assault. For example, over the summer, Dartmouth College changed its sexual assault disciplinary policy to automatic expulsion for cases of rape. Many large universities plan on requiring students to take online courses on assault. Oklahoma State University’s new forty-five minute online class teaches the definition of consent and techniques for intervention.

“Campuses that did nothing before suddenly find themselves in a place where they are doing something,” said W. Scott Lewis, a higher-education risk management consultant.