Shop With a Warrior’s 10th annual event to commence December 13

The application process begins as the students of NC decide their groups for Shop with a Warrior.

Nneoma Igwedibie

Chris Degirolamo, Special coverage editor

In light of the holiday season, excited children with selfless wishlists will experience a personal shopping experience. Connecting the community while also spreading Christmas cheer, NC’s most participative community service event, Shop With a Warrior (SWAW), will occur on December 13.

“I fell in love with participating in Shop With a Warrior my sophomore year when I first signed up. The kids were so happy to hang out with older kids and shop for their families, knowing they’d be happy with the gifts they purchased. I honestly can’t think of a single negative thing about it, and I can’t wait for this year,” senior Samantha Negron said.

During SWAW, groups of NC students accompany children from feeder schools to the local Walmart and purchase Christmas gifts for their families.  While impacting the community and creating memorable moments, students can also gain five community service hours.

For the tenth annual Shop With a Warrior, the application process goes online to make everything more efficient.
Nneoma Igwedibie

Each team consists of three or four students who must raise $100 for the event. Every group escorts a child whose family is experiencing difficult times. The $100 budget may seem mere for an entire family, but they always display their gratitude upon receiving their presents.

“This is a great opportunity to help the community, especially the children of our community.  They get to do something worthwhile and have fun with their friends.  It is so much fun and everyone really enjoys seeing the excitement on the faces of the children.  When students hear they have to raise $100, it sounds like a lot.  However it’s really only $25 each for a team of four,” Mrs. Woosley said.

Signing up became simpler this year with forms available online at the NC website here. Forms must be returned by December 3rd to Mrs. Reese in room 2101.