Becca’s Closet brings style to NC

James Watson

With over 40 chapters nationwide, Becca’s Closet aims to provide underprivileged girls with prom and homecoming dresses donated by the community. Because these school events serve as highly attended ones, girls deserve to feel special and wanted. NC’s Becca’s Closet chapter recently made a comeback after four years of absence and will do so stronger than ever.

Erinn Gardner, Editor in Chief

NC’s grand return of Becca’s Closet came into effect Thursday, September 15 after its four-year hiatus. This active non-profit organization strives to supply prom dresses and formal wear to the less fortunate. In addition to NC, multiple high schools across the United States run chapters, allowing students to make donations.  

Becca’s Closet originated in Davie, Florida, where Rebecca Kirtman founded a club in hopes to issue prom dresses and accessories for those who cannot afford them. The honor student and cheerleader wished to see all girls comfortable in their own skin, especially on the grandest night of the year. Her successful school club helped hundreds of girls in the area, as she raised over 250 dresses. Unfortunately, Kirtman passed away in a car accident in 2003, leaving her friends and family devastated. To honor her legacy as a selfless, generous young woman, schools nationwide kept her club active for those who too wish to serve the community. 

“Students Haneen Mohommed and Julia Magalhães started this club to benefit the community; not only the girls in here but even open to the community by providing dresses and making girls feel special for homecoming and prom because sometimes people cannot afford it. I used to work with Becca’s many many years ago as a volunteer, so when the girls told me they wanted to do something like this, I was like ‘why don’t we do this and bring it back?’ We got in touch with Becca’s closet, and it was approved in less than 24 hours,” Becca’s Closet sponsor and Language instructor Tatiana Watson said. 

Seniors Haneen Mohommed and Julia Magalhães started NC’s Becca’s Closet chapter, with the intention of ensuring inclusivity among the girls in the school. As Mohommed viewed a 2018 NC yearbook, she came across a Becca’s Closet chapter, inspiring her to reboot it. Magalhaes assisted her in restarting the club, as she also aspired to serve others. They put a twist on it by allowing individuals to donate ties and accessories for men as well. During their club meetings every Wednesday morning, the members discuss an approach to receive donations in a variety of sizes and styles to provide students with a diverse selection. Once the chapter receives a substantial amount of donations, NC will allow students to try on dresses in the freshman cafeteria to finalize their decision. As homecoming approaches, they must look and feel their best for the momentous occasion. 

“Haneen and I want this club to continue to grow and stay at North Cobb for a long time, even after we graduate this year. I feel like it gives a lot of people an opportunity to express themselves and show their own confidence and style through these dresses. Obviously, everybody has a different style and size and certain things are beautiful to other people, but we just want everybody to feel confident and beautiful and that’s literally our main goal. We want that to show at the dances or even in the hallways,” Magalhães said.