The Willow Project: when will it end

Valentina Gonzalez

After President Biden approved the Willow project in March, numerous citizens continue to feel at a loss for the planet and continue to recognize the serious effects the project attracts. Bringing attention to the Willow Project caused a chain reaction in people finding ways to prevent other harmful trials that will destroy the planet.

Valentina Gonzalez, Reporter

Global warming remains a serious issue that people constantly push aside and ignore. A popular climate issue, the Willow Project, became famously recognized on TikTok and other social media platforms such as Instagram in March of this year. This project’s negative effects came into the perspectives of numerous people who wanted to know and understand the developments made for their environment far too late into the process of approval and now upsets concerned citizens about their environment.

“I feel like the Willow Project got noticed for about three weeks and then all of a sudden no one cared anymore. I found out about it from a petition on Instagram and then proceeded to see multiple TikToks of it within the next couple of days. Now, I don’t even know any updates on it or the procedures involved with the Willow Project,” sophomore Lena Manasreh said. 

Under the Clinton administration in 1999, ConocoPhillips, an Alaskan oil-producing company, managed to obtain approved leases for the Willow area. These leases later allowed the company to start a project to advance Alaska’s economy and energy use. For over two decades, the company struggled for this project to reach fully-approved status. Finally, in March 2023, President Joe Biden ratified the now-famously known Willow Project.

The Willow Project consists of drilling for oil in private and reserved areas to supposedly save Alaska. While the ConocoPhillips company occupies this area, numerous advocators from around the world signed petitions trying to prevent the project from happening and took this matter to heart while fully disagreeing with the course of action they wished would not take place.

Along with environmentalists, normal citizens quickly recognized the harmful effects of the Willow Project and attempted to prevent the project from attaining its approval. Citizens signed petitions and spread the news of the project on social media to ensure that everyone realized the effects that will not only harm Alaska but also states and countries around the world.

“I first heard about the Willow Project on TikTok, then read an article linked to the TikTok. The article shocked me because it gave such detail on what would happen if the Willow Project was approved. I signed a petition trying to stop the project from getting approved but unfortunately, it was approved this March,” sophomore Tessa Saunders said.

Although various ordinary citizens wanted to prevent this project from happening, the Willow Project remains one of multiple harmful yet supposedly helpful projects affecting the world. News channels continue to spread important news such as the release of greenhouse gasses in major populated cities, which pertains to global warming. Information continues to plague platforms for future generations to understand what methods will improve the planet and what methods will destroy it.