National Read Across America Day connects high schoolers with new readers

A+few+NC+students+took+time+out+of+their+school+day+to+go+and+read+books+to+children+at+three+elementary+schools.+Here+they+are+pictured+at+Big+Shanty.+%E2%80%9CI+think+that+them+reading+to+children+is+a+great%2C+selfless+act+that+gives+the+children+a+chance+to+interact+with+high+school+students+that+are+great+role+models+for+their+future%2C%E2%80%9D+said+Sarah+Sutley+

Melissa Hines

A few NC students took time out of their school day to go and read books to children at three elementary schools. Here they are pictured at Big Shanty. “I think that them reading to children is a great, selfless act that gives the children a chance to interact with high school students that are great role models for their future,” said Sarah Sutley

Sophia Mapua, Reporter

111 years ago, author, cartoonist, animator, and book publisher Theodore Seuss Geisel joined the planet. Under the pen name Dr. Seuss, Geisel published a multitude of notable works, including Green Eggs and Ham, Horton Hears a Who! and The Lorax, before dying of oral cancer in 1991. After his death, the National Education Association officially adopted Dr. Seuss’s birthday as National Read Across America Day. On March 2, students in English classes and mentorship visited Big Shanty, Lewis, and Kennesaw Elementary School to read to younger students.

“I read Have I Ever Told You How Lucky You Are to a special ed class. I loved that the kids were really happy to see me. It brought back a lot of memories from when I was a kid,” senior Jasmin McCarden said.

The readings lasted throughout first period, during which all of the schools commemorated Dr. Seuss and his writings. The younger students and elementary school teachers openly welcomed NC students to their classrooms.

“It was fun seeing the looks on the kids’ faces when I was reading to them. They even started asking me questions about high school,” said senior Cain Henderson, who read The Sneetches and Other Stories to a third grade class.

In a digital age where students constantly become distracted by technology, reading remains crucial for elementary school students. Sitting down and thoroughly reading a book helps children improve their vocabulary and increase their attention span. By reading with them, NC students help them enhance these skills.

“Young people have to be pushed to read to get in the habit. If children could learn to enjoy reading from an earlier age, I feel like we could change the reluctant attitude about reading. When I read Dr. Seuss books to the kids, they really enjoyed it. If kids were read to more often at a younger age, we could see them reading more,” said senior Travis Onyima.