Yearbook: People that make memories last forever [photo essay]

April 29, 2015

0 ShowcaseAlicia Bush

Joining a school publication, such as NC’s yearbook staff (also known as Panorama) enhances writing skills and school involvement, but also provides a family environment with individuals who possess common interests. The collaborative effort concentrated amongst the staff transforms into a common respect for each other. Not to mention, the classroom full of fancy equipment becomes a second home.

1 Alex and EricaAlicia Bush

Serving as the 2014-2015 editors-in-chief, seniors Alex King and Erica Len proudly represent the Panorama’s staff.  Both writers joined during their sophomore year, desiring a deeper high school experience and the chance to explore writing.  After proving themselves worthy, King and Len received the promotion: “I really enjoy writing, and I thought yearbook would allow me to connect with new people, help me get involved, and experience more throughout the school,” King said. “I wanted to get involved in the school, and I wanted to feel like I was apart of something,” Len added.

2 Christina MatacottaAlicia Bush

Attending school games and school dances are included in yearbook benefits. But each event’s coverage must depict accuracy and meet deadlines. Operating within such a workplace-like environment thrusts these young journalists into better organizational skills. Unlike in other courses, one late assignment affects the entire classroom: “Being on yearbook staff has really given a whole new meaning to deadlines. In other classes, getting stuff in on time only affects you. But as a part of this business, it affects the staff and companies we deal with. It has really helped me improve my work ethic,” senior Christina Matacotta said.

3 Alex MaxwellAlicia Bush

Most students join activities hoping to discover their niche. With numerous positions to hold, each writer obtains an opportunity to prepare a career path: “It helped me find my passion because I was in other activities I didn’t really like. This class taught me what career path I should follow,” senior Alex Maxwell, managing editor, said.

4 Alex KingAlicia Bush

Over the course of editing, King developed a keen eye for details. She advises each journalist to submit their best work: “Don’t be content with something that isn’t your best. Pictures and stories are important and they last forever in these yearbooks,” King advised.

Belmar and Wright work on ideas for next year.
Alicia Bush

Everyone starts as a “newbie,” but humble beginnings often kindle goals and aspiration. Sophomore Erin Belmar’s perseverance landed her an editing position for next year. Now she can apply each skills passed down from the upperclassmen: “I look forward to being an editor of my own section and  having the benefits others have. I’m going to miss all the seniors. They’ve taught me a lot, and I hope I can do as well as they’ve done,” Belmar said.

7 Alondra MoralesAlicia Bush
Passing out papers for the editors, senior Alondra Morales maintains the business side of yearbook: “I’ve learned that you have to adapt your marketing strategies according to your student body,” Morales, Business Manager, said.