As the Opening Ceremony began in the GSU Sports Arena, excitement was felt by everyone who was there. Music was played and mentors made sure to be enthusiastic, it was a great start to the day. (Melissa Sagaseta)
As the Opening Ceremony began in the GSU Sports Arena, excitement was felt by everyone who was there. Music was played and mentors made sure to be enthusiastic, it was a great start to the day.

Melissa Sagaseta

Latino Leadership Conference inspires youth

November 13, 2015

The 16th Annual Latino Leadership Conference, held on the Georgia State University campus, brought middle and high school students together for a day of enjoyment. The conference consisted of guest speakers while the students participated in educational workshops and a college fair.

Sponsors such as McDonald’s provided breakfast for the students as school buses arrived at the doors of Georgia State. The day began with an Opening Ceremony in the GSU Sports Arena. As the students filed in, the cheers from the volunteers and mentors radiated through the arena.  

Cristy Quinones speaks to the students about her past; a story of bullying and hardships, which skyrocketed her rise to success.
Melissa Sagaseta

Excitement arose as the announcer introduced the first entertainers of the day: the Bomba dancers. The group went on to perform one of the traditional dances of Puerto Rico. Other performers included the singer/songwriter Cristy Quinones, who also shared her moving story of how she overcame her obstacles to succeed.

The opening ceremony also showcased motivational speakers such as Roy Juarez, a once homeless teenager living on the streets of Texas who changed his life significantly. Juarez speaks to young adults across the nation of his experiences and bestows motivation in the hearts of many. He stresses the point of having a higher education to better one’s life and future. His inspiring speech left many in tears and highlighted the purpose of the conference: to take action. Other speakers included Carlos Ojeda, an educator and youth speaker, and Scott Burke, a Georgia State Undergraduate Admissions Counselor.

Many workshops opened for students throughout the day, including one for financial aid. Former professors ran many of the workshops, with sponsor representatives also conducting a few. These educational workshops enabled the students to partake in their first steps to college and a brighter future. Students interacted with others who shared the same goal and motivated one another to go to greater lengths.

Aside from the special performances, motivational speakers, and educational workshops, the Latino Conference also offered a college fair, showcasing many colleges, universities, and organizations. People asked questions and filled out simple applications to receive more information on the school. News reporters such as Univision, covering the conference, spoke to students interested in broadcasting.

The conference in full opened the doors to education and motivated the latino youth to strive further and to become more than just a statistic.