Run For It! Productions hosts its tenth annual First Watch Half Marathon

Half+Marathon+runners+anticipate+the+start+of+the+race+at+7%3A28am.+With+the+temperature+in+the+low+30s%2C+runners+do+their+best+to+keep+warm.+Stretching+and+jogging+in+place+keeps+their+blood+flowing+and+their+energy+up.++

Half Marathon runners anticipate the start of the race at 7:28am. With the temperature in the low 30s, runners do their best to keep warm. Stretching and jogging in place keeps their blood flowing and their energy up.

Michayla Cherichel

Michayla Cherichel

Michayla Cherichel

Michayla Cherichel, Reporter

The Locomotive First Watch Half Marathon and 5k races, originally set to occur on December 10, 2017, occurred on Sunday, January 21. Run For It! Productions considers these races the “crown jewel” of the Locomotive race series.

The main goal was to provide fun running events and promote fitness in the community. Locomotive came from the rich history of trains in the Kennesaw area, as well as for my son who loves trains,” founder of the Locomotive Race series Mark Vescio said.  

The First Watch race, which Vescio refers to as a “community staple,” produced roughly 600 participants this year.

NC alumna Amy Little and her nephews appeared as three of these participants. The 5k running trio strives to run at least one race per month. With a goal to beat their previous 5k time of 38 minutes, the runners highly anticipated the start of the race. As they ran, they looked forward to the First Watch pancake breakfast that would follow.  

Michayla Cherichel
First Watch, the host of the race, featured their iconic symbol, a giant egg, that stands alone on race grounds. After the race, the popular brunch spot would host a pancake breakfast for runners.

On the eve of the race, participants filled up on carbs at the pre-race pasta dinner, which took place at Bowlero in Kennesaw.

“I’m new here to Georgia, I did a lot of races there. I did half marathons, I did Gasparilla, I did two triathlons,” Florida native Jenny said.

Jenny ran this year’s First Watch Half Marathon in preparation for the 2018 Publix Georgia Marathon, which will take place this March. To train for the First Watch race, Jenny ran through her hill-riddled neighborhood and took part in the Mount Tabor trail run.

“In Florida it’s so hard to train because it’s so hot and it’s flat,” Jenny said.

In the few days leading up to the First Watch race, weather in the Kennesaw/Acworth area left many intrigued to know whether the event would occur as planned.  

“We watched the weather carefully, and we were confident even as far back as the Monday prior to the race that we would be ok,” Vescio said. “We had perfect running weather so I was happy!”

Run For It! Production’s next event, With or Without You 5k/1k will take place on February 10 in Dunwoody, GA. Those that cross the finish line will receive a commemorative shirt, celebratory chocolates, a heart-shaped medal, a free ticket for the post-race party, as well as other goodies in the spirit of Valentine’s Day. Couples wishing to renew marital vows can take advantage of the “chapel of love,” where an ordained minister will conduct vow renewals.

Visit https://runforitproductions.com/ for more information.

Michayla Cherichel, Reporter

Michayla Cherichel is a sophomore in the Magnet program and plans to be a reporter on The Chant. "I think I want to be a journalist when I go to college...