Flipping out for the new cheer season

The+cheer+girls+huddle+up+and+build+the+team+spirit+in+their+cheer+circle.+After+hours+of+practice+in+a+warm+gym%2C+the+exhausted+cheerleaders+still+keep+the+spirit+alive+by+creating+this+spirit+driven+circle.+%E2%80%9COn+three+girls%2C+One...two...three...We+are+orange%21%E2%80%9D+the+cheerleaders+chant+as+they+get+back+up+to+continue+tumbling+into+competition.+

Flipping out for the new cheer season

The cheer girls huddle up and build the team spirit in their cheer circle. After hours of practice in a warm gym, the exhausted cheerleaders still keep the spirit alive by creating this spirit driven circle. “On three girls, One...two...three...We are orange!” the cheerleaders chant as they get back up to continue tumbling into competition.

Elyssa Abbott

Elyssa Abbott

Elyssa Abbott

Elyssa Abbott, Reporter, Photographer

Tumbling into the competition cheer season, the girls on the team await a tough season. Preparation throughout the summer with practices twice a week and two week long camps helped foster unbreakable bonds between teammates and allowed them to perfect the two-minute performances they created. By competition time, they will perform flips that non-cheerleaders could only dream of attempting.

“The summer practices are a great way to get to know the team and get to bond before the school year, especially for the freshmen,” sophomore Macey Lawrence said.  

The NC competition cheer team, after a four year hiatus, finally returns. After placing at a North Paulding competition last year, the girls feel eager to jump back on the mat and travel to Columbus, Georgia for their State Competition on November 9th. Hungry for victory, the cheerleaders work hard to polish their routine.

Finding a balance between school and the sport challenges these student-athletes. Incorporating a social life into the mix of responsibilities can seem impossible at times. For these athletes, they realize the struggle of balance. Practices twice a week for up to four hours can drain the girls on the team, but homework and school always remains a priority.

“I keep a planner and do my school work right after practice,” sophomore Bella Van Essendelft said.

Naoshin Kaiser
The girls get ready for a stunt called the one leg extension. This stunt takes four girls and is one of the more difficult stunts to perform.

Coach Young, like the other girls on the team, sets her goals for the cheer season. Young wants the team to place in each competition, whereas the other girls created goals personal to them, such as obtaining a new skill or performing without any errors during a competition.

“My goal for this season is to hit zero [perform with zero deductions] at at least two of our competitions,” sophomore Macey Lawrence said.

Young also wants to see the girls believing in themselves and going into each competition with more confidence than last year. Even after tough losses, she looks forward to raising each of the girls’ spirits.

Elyssa Abbott
Aryel Anderson, senior at NC, strikes a challenging pose as four other girls hold her up. “ It’s important to reply on the team and trust that we have each others backs, literally. Competition is not like normal cheering, its a team effort.” Sophomore Daniella King said.

The cheerleaders anticipate their first regional competition, which will take place in Carrollton on October 13. The team hopes to see other students stop by one of the five cheer team competitions this season and so they can support the Warrior Spirit.

Elyssa Abbott, Photographer/Reporter

Elyssa Abbott, a sophomore in the Magnet Program at NCHS, joined newspaper to pursue her dream profession of being a journalist. The youngest of 3, Abbott...

Naoshin Kaiser, Photgrapher

Naoshin Kaiser is a short girl but sure has some attitude; her style is fun and chill yet chic. She has the eye for the art of makeup and photography....