Thank u, next: I’m so grateful for Ari’s new album

Junior Maddie Nicholas recreates the album cover for Ariana Grande’s latest album, thank u, next. “This album has to be one of her best albums I have ever listened to. The transition of her music has worked really well for her, and I am excited to see what else she comes up with,” Nicholas said.

Haley Kish

Haley Kish

Haley Kish

Haley Kish, Reporter, Photographer

Not even six months after releasing Sweetener, Ariana Grande released her latest album thank u, next on Friday, February 8. Before the initial release of thank u, next, Grande released three singles, first sharing “thank u, next” just after Grande called off her marriage with Pete Davidson. After “thank u, next” hit the radio, Grande released “imagine” where she truly showed off her vocal range and then pushed “7 rings” before the full album’s release.

Thank u, next consists of songs from the same genre, pop, but each song sounds different. Fans say songs, such as “bloodline” and “7 rings,” resemble other artists’ styles such as Britney Spears or Julie Andrews. Grande went from Sweetener, an album produced after finding love with Pete Davidson, to thank u, next, an album where Grande finds her true self and accepts everything that has happened in her life, such as rapper Mac Miller’s death and her breakup with Pete Davidson.

“I think that after everything Ariana has been through with Mac and Pete, this album was her really coming to terms with who she really is for herself and nobody else,” junior Mary Anglin said.

Thank u, next starts off with “imagine,” which released as a single before the rest of the album dropped. This song, along with “in my head,” shows off Grande’s incredible vocal range. This album shows an even higher octave that fans previously believed she could not reach.

The next song on Grande’s album, “needy,” resembles a similar beat to previous songs on other albums. This song talks about how Grande fulfills her needs in a relationship by standing up and saying what needs to happen in order for the relationship to work, or else she leaves the relationship. Fans say this song resembles her confessing her true feelings to herself and her significant other.

“My favorite song on the album is ‘needy’ because I really identify and relate with it. ‘Needy’ is all about relationships and loving too hard but owning and realizing that fact,” Anglin said.

Grande falls back to her space theme with her previous albums and dropped “NASA” in this album. This song starts off with a clip from Neil Armstrong’s statement when he landed and first walked on the moon. The head bopping beat and upbeat lyrics resembles Grande’s opinion of saying “if you love me, then you will show me space” since everyone knows to avoid clinginess in a relationship.

“Fake smile” starts off with Frank Sinatra vibes, offering a chill and relaxed vibe. In this song, the lyrics do not match the beat of the song, and it seems like she threw this song together at the last minute. The lyrics also do not feel like the singer that her fans know and love—it seems as if Grande tried too hard to fit in with other singers when she should focus on staying true to herself.

The only slow song on the album, “ghostin,” reflects on her past relationship with rapper Mac Miller, who recently passed away from a drug overdose. This song gives fans Beauty and the Beast vibes as this song makes listeners want to slow dance and cry. The song starts off with the lyric, “I know you hear me when I cry. I try to hold it in the night,” saying that Miller knows when Grande cries because of how much Grande misses him. Another line in the song, “We’ll get through this, we’ll get past this. I’m the girl with a whole lot of baggage,” exemplifies Grande telling herself that everything happens for a reason even though her real first love died and will never return.

Grande reflects on herself and her past relationships with Davidson and Miller. Thank u, next expresses Grande’s way of telling herself and her fans that she does not need anyone to make her feel wanted because, in the end, you only have yourself. Overall, this album sets the bar high for the next albums she will release.

The Chant’s Grade: A

Haley Kish, Photographer

Haley Kish, a junior in the magnet program, joined The Chant this year since she has always had the idea of becoming a journalist when she gets older....