Artsy Acworth Art Fest

Artsy Acworth Art Fest

The Acworth Art Fest took place between April 6 and 7. The event offered a common ground for artists and creators to present their work. Art Fest participant Hannah Coker displayed 13 pieces of her work in hopes to meet new people and sell her products.

Nia-Simone Sherwood

Nia-Simone Sherwood

Nia-Simone Sherwood

Nia-Simone Sherwood, Reporter, Videographer

Calling all artists and creators! Splash Festivals hosted their annual Art Fest in downtown Acworth on April 6 and 7. Blocking off Main Street for the weekend, the creators of the event organized over 25 display booths for artists from the North Georgia area to show off and sell their work.

The Acworth Art Fest invited individuals who created acrylic, oil, and water-based artwork. Beyond paintings and traditional artwork, the festival also featured artisans who produced vivid handmade miniature statues, figurines, clothing, and accessories.

Food vendors at the festival enjoyed presenting their own form of edible art to visitors as they walked throughout the event. Food options ranged from American and Hispanic, to Caribbean dishes. The hot and dry weather called for the community to sell sweet treats, such as freshly squeezed lemonade and shaved ice.

“The Art Fest was really peaceful. I normally don’t come to places like these, but it seemed like it was something cool to do with some friends and just get out of the house. The food here was really good, [and] I liked how they had something from different cultures to please everyone,” junior at Allatoona High School Ian Kibe said.

Atlanta artist Hannah Coker drew attraction to her display booth with her pieces of acrylic paintings and mixed media. Coker’s artwork formed from inspirational sayings that resonated with her during different stages that prompted artistic surges in her life.

“I made a commitment to paint every day two and half years ago after a 25-year hiatus, and I kinda just looked for different things that inspired me. I have a studio in my home, but I sell my art on my own website. As of lately, I have been coming and selling my art at festivals like these,” Coker said.

YIPandMore artist Judy Webster demonstrated her new macrame product that can hold flowerpots and dishware to a potential buyer. “I’m considered a fiber artist, so I turn strings into things. Macrameing is the art of knot tying, so unlike crocheting, you don’t need a hook. However, I create both. I [have] been crocheting for a long time and it’s finally popular now—and for that, I’m really happy,” Webster said.

Art Fest not only entertained adults but also children around the community. Kids shared their creative side by painting and creating colorful sand jars. Face painting stations allowed children to run throughout the festival with colorful faces resembling animals.

“I could tell my younger cousin liked the activities they had, especially the bouncy houses. Seeing him have so much fun in there brought a wave of nostalgia over me, making me wish I could still go on inflatables like that, but it’s okay, listening to music and looking at cool art is great too,” NC junior Chris Jenkins said.

The Artist Market offered a common ground for guests and creators to discuss artwork, each piece holding its own background story. The Acworth Art Fest successfully ran another year worth adding to their books.

Nia-Simone Sherwood, Reporter/Videographer

Nia-Simone Sherwood enjoyed news more than the average kid. When Nia found out there was a whole class dedicated to it she had to sign up right away. Nia-Simone...