Virtual School Day

Callie Kinsinger

U.S. state Senate runoff elections will occur December 6, causing a virtual learning day for Cobb County schools. Teachers will hand out assignments on the previous day, December 5 to continue the learning process the following day, even through online means. Less than two weeks of the semester remain, creating the perfect chance for students to catch up on outstanding assignments.

Callie Kinsinger, Features editor

December 6, Cobb County schools will hold a virtual school day, with students not attending in-person school. Teachers will still hand out asynchronous assignments for students to complete on their own through the CTLS platform; the work provided depends on each individual teacher’s preferences, ranging from reviews to worksheets.

“I plan on completing all my schoolwork so that I can have the rest of the given time at home to relax before I have to go swim practice. I do like that we have a virtual day because I have two quizzes and a project to start and I like that I have more time to prepare myself for my online quizzes,” sophomore Henry Witschy said.

The state-wide runoff election takes place in multiple school buildings, so students cannot attend in-person school. Neither Raphael Warnock nor Herschel Walker received a majority of the votes in the general election, causing the runoff election for U.S. Senate. Regardless of this Georgia-only law, both candidates continued to promote throughout the days leading up to the 6th.

Polls open at 7 a.m. and close late at 7 p.m., offering the chance for all people to vote to make a change. Various older students may receive the chance to vote; this time off from school offers a day to make a change in their community. Otherwise, parents, teachers and faculty can take the day to vote without worrying about their students.

This virtual day allows students a chance to catch up on work as the end of the semester and finals approach. Since teachers cannot start new lessons, students can work on missing or late work to turn in the following day. Teachers will review independent assignments December 5, as no Zoom sessions will occur throughout the day.

“I’m going to take this day to make sure I’m caught up on all my work since the semester is ending super soon. I’m glad we don’t have to do the Zoom sessions or anything because I hate it, but my teachers still did give me stuff to do,” sophomore David Achamaja said.

The day at home does not resemble a day off for students, though. Students must complete the work assigned for the following day and contact teachers with any questions. Although students can sleep in, it does not permit falling a day behind on classwork as not much time remains to catch up this semester.

Students can work on assignments all day at their own pace, showing students flashbacks of the online school during COVID-19. Students will return to school the following day as they normally would and continue out the semester until it ends December 16.