From the page to the stage: “Daisy Jones and The Six”

Prime Video

Along with compelling characters and empowering storylines, “Daisy Jones and The Six” comes with amazing extras. Since the release of the first three episodes March 3, Amazon created a “Daisy Jones and The Six” page where buyers can shop for outfits, jewelry, merchandise and new editions of the book. Each episode also provides a playlist of songs featured in that episode’s scenes and original music, sung by the cast, released in an album, AURORA.

Valentina Gonzalez, Reporter

March 5, 2019, famous author Taylor Jenkins Reid published “Daisy Jones and The Six”, a book loosely based on Fleetwood Mac, and heavily based on the troubles that arose in the ‘70s. Along with the book’s chaotic timeline, “Daisy Jones and The Six” focuses on the meteoric rise and fall of a band originally formed in Pittsburgh, The Dunne Brothers, that turned into a phenomenon overnight once the members met and recorded one song with Daisy Jones. The show adaptation came out March 3 and now releases weekly episodes on Prime Video every Thursday.

The book received extra attention after Reese Witherspoon announced it on her book club’s website. Since then, one million copies of the book sold and acquired excellent reviews. Soon after the book’s release, Riley Keough, Elvis Presley’s granddaughter, announced that she will play the main character: Daisy Jones.

“The book is a masterpiece on its own and dives into each character beautifully and the show has done it justice so far. Some slight changes were made, but nevertheless, the storyline and characters are amazing, addictive and perfectly portrayed,” sophomore Tessa Saunders said.

The show superbly includes elements, accessories and accent pieces of clothing from the ‘70s. The outfits truly fit the characters and show off their personalities as well as capturing the various styles found during the ‘70s. The directing shows off the several perspectives within the storytelling and amazingly displays the characters’ emotional arcs between the stories’ 20-year jump.

When making an album, the two lead singers of a band likely will portray and feel a certain level of chemistry and intimacy. The lead singer alongside  Daisy Jones, Billy Dunne, played by Sam Claflin, and Keough perfectly embodied the addiction that the majority of rock star musicians and others in the music industry faced in the ‘70s. In this story, Billy overcame his addiction to drugs and alcohol after staying in a rehab facility.

“In the book, tension can be easily written and built up, but in film, the actors must really convince the viewers that there is chemistry between them. Riley Keough and Sam Claflin are phenomenal actors and the chemistry between their characters is palpable and excellent. Whether one reads the book or not, anyone can see the tension and feelings flourish between the two,” Saunders said.

When band manager Teddy Price decides to combine the strengths and talent of his new group and artist, his decision becomes legendary. At first, Billy feels hatred for Daisy since she reminds him of the younger and immature version of himself, who did not think of his family. Yet, Billy reads Daisy all wrong when he finds out that she struggles in a world where no one understands her and she never experienced the love that a family ought to feel because her parents neglected her as a child.

The show, as well as the book, does an extraordinary job of differentiating soulmates and twin flames. The variation in the relationship between Billy and Camila and Billy and Daisy shows the bright side of family and the struggles of temptation to drugs and cheating. The timeline of the story also effectively displays how one grows based on their surroundings. 

The elements of a lonely rockstar emerge from the camerawork and settings of the show that convince viewers of the ‘70s era in the show. This production shut down the Sunset Strip in California for the first time in 30 years to capture the correct scenery for a rockstar in that era. The 975 costumes in the show perfectly fit the characters and their growth throughout the story.

The reviews of the show and the original music within it continue to grow and improve through the release of its weekly episodes on Prime Video. Between the music and the scenes, with the extra year in preparation for their roles due to COVID-19, the chemistry within the cast and their voices shows on camera and astonishes fans each week. 

The Chant’s Grade: A+