From self-care to self-harm: UV lamps now exposed for causing cancer

The aesthetic of receiving a mani-pedi to relieve stress now shifts to a hazardous activity exposing skin cuticles to potentially fatal UV radiation that alters DNA. The device, also referred to as curing lamps or UV dryers, frequently uses lamps or LED lights to dry the gel nail polish applied. The ultraviolet radiation produced by the device’s LEDs causes cell death and alterations to human cells. To prevent further exposure, a surge of protective UV gloves promotes consideration of the lamps’ dangerous effects.

Eladia Scott, Reporter

The aesthetic of a pampering session or mani-pedi to unwind and relax now turns to a harmful session of exposing skin cuticles to possible deadly UV rays, which change DNA. Known as curing lamps and UV dryers, the machine often uses lamps or LED lights to dry the gel nail polish painted on. The lights within the device emit ultraviolet radiation, which further leads to cell death and cancer-causing mutations in human cells.

“I’ve heard about the UV light causing cancer but to me, it does not concern me. Many people use it while doing nails, even me. On the other hand, though I do think it should not be used every day because your skin is a soft piece so it could be damaged,” junior Siya Patel said. 

Although reportedly stated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the dryers do not present a high risk of any dangers; a desire to deeply understand the impact on the body these UV lamps possess erupted, and research commenced. January 17, the University of California San Diego led an experiment to expose human and mouse cells to UV rays from a nail dryer. What they discovered raised a significant health concern for all people who regularly use the device. Researchers found that using these UV emitting devices in 20-minute increments revealed considerable cell death, with one 20-minute session resulting in 20 and 30% of the exposed cells’ death. Along with evidence of killing cells, extended exposure to UV light caused patterns of mutations that commonly live in skin cancer in humans, also known as mitochondrial and DNA damage in the remaining cells.

“If you look at the way these devices are presented, they are marketed as safe, with nothing to be concerned about, but to the best of our knowledge, no one has actually studied these devices and how they affect human cells at the molecular and cellular levels until now,” UC San Diego bioengineering cellular and molecular medicine professor Ludmil Alexandrov said. 

A recommendation to limit long exposure to UV radiation from Gel lamps and purchase UV protection gloves encourages people to increase their awareness of these products, as companies will not erase them from market shelves soon due to insufficient evidence proving the damaging effects. Also, applying a broad-spectrum sunscreen can be a prevention method for any skin damage. Enjoying a manicure or pedicure session does not equal risking killing cells; following guidelines and tips can help to prevent that.