The power of pets

Mackenzie Blanco
The role of pets in an owner’s life creates joyous and unforgettable moments. The needs and wants of dogs create a lifetime of exciting memories as they grow and mature into the adored furry friends in family households. Especially through tough times, dogs provide comfort and relief at the end of the day. “Pets are always there to make you happy. When you’ve had a bad day, someone happily greets you at the door,” magnet sophomore Justina Stewart said.

From reptiles to dogs, pets need a high level of attention as they age also, dogs require proper training and a schedule that meets their individual needs. Within the hours spent with furry pets, humans create strong bonds that remain forever. The lack of interaction with one’s pet can lead to an increase in loneliness while yearning for their pet and for children, dogs serve as energy consumers and cuddle buddies after a long day. When stressed, dogs also allow people to feel a sense of calmness. The presence of pets provides support for kids in times of stress and embraces companionship which stands as important in an owner’s life. 

“Adopting a pet was something I desired because it was something I knew I’d enjoy and gain a family member from. My dogs basically grew up with me and they were comforting to have. A reason I think people may not have a pet is because they could be allergic or could be unable to afford it,” magnet sophomore Jutina Stewart said. 

In the eyes of parents, dogs arise as a source of comfort and support for their kids. Dogs allow kids to express their true selves knowing they will not experience judgment. They provide kids with reassurance and emotional support when they feel upset, which leads to future conversations with kids and their parents about their emotions. A study made by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), examined kids with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) while playing with guinea pigs in a classroom. The study showed that the kids’ anxiety levels dropped after 10 minutes of play. Researchers discovered that the animals offered unconditional acceptance which created a calm and comforting space for the kids.

As children care for, romp, or chill on the sofa, they emotionally attach to their pets and develop an understanding of themselves and the needs of others. They realize that their feelings can be similar and different from others around them. Pets help children develop a vital aspect of empathy: understanding others’ feelings and interpreting communication. With empathy, they can comprehend behaviors and emotions, interacting accordingly,” Heartmanity founder Jennifer Williams said

While the love for adopting a pet lasts a lifetime, the maintenance of a pet can seem fairly high. Pets rely entirely on their owner, which means decisions must be made in the best interest of the pets’ needs. For instance, humans need to walk their dogs multiple times a day to keep them active and properly groom them depending on their coats. Without providing a pet with the attention he or she needs, the pet could suffer and live a life they do not deserve. Pets need the proper care to live a healthy, active life with their owner which requires financial obligations and sacrifices. In any household, pets can attract illnesses like humans so whether an owner takes great care of their pet, vet bills and additional attention fall upon the owner to provide. The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) believes pet ownership requires preparedness in an owner’s life while under any circumstance such as a medical emergency so that the pet achieves the proper care needed. This includes making arrangements in case the owner can no longer provide the care the pet needs. AVMA describes adoption as committing to a lifelong relationship with the pet and realizing that adopting a pet requires an investment of time and money. 

Nonetheless, pets would not live in happy homes without the dedication owners put into taking care of their pets. Owners gain a new companion when adopting a pet, which creates a strong connection with not only their pet but with future friendships. A study made by Harvard Medical School showed that humans gain new friendships through pet-related interactions. With the adoption of a dog, adventures take place that create life-long memories in the eyes of the owner. The emotional roller coaster that comes with adopting a pet serves a greater purpose to meet the goal of a higher number of pets out of shelters and into loving homes. 

The role of companionship embraces service and therapy dogs to educate and serve children around the world with animal-assisted intervention programs (AAI). This includes pet programs such as the Canine for Kids program at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta (CHOA). CHOA’s Canine for Kids program provides support for social, emotional and physical treatment for their patients. The need for pets in hospitals allows children and families to feel a sense of peace when heading into major procedures and doctor appointments.