Retrosound Records, a song above the rest

+With+vinyl+records+transitioning+into+the+highest-grossing+physical+music+format%2C+prospective+and+veteran+collectors+hunt+for+local+shops+to+buy+from.+Former+English+teacher+Ken+Masters+opened+his+shop+due+to+his+passion+for+records%2C+which+customers+easily+recognize+as+almost+palpable+through+the+entryway.+The+striking+Retrosound+Records+sits+off+Highway+92%2C+and+music+lovers+ought+to+flock+to+it.+%0A
Rosalyn Schwanke
With vinyl records transitioning into the highest-grossing physical music format, prospective and veteran collectors hunt for local shops to buy from. Former English teacher Ken Masters opened his shop due to his passion for records, which customers easily recognize as almost palpable through the entryway. The striking Retrosound Records sits off Highway 92, and music lovers ought to flock to it.

Music unites people of every culture, weaving a common thread through society. As an inherent part of humanity, practically every person makes music, hears music or finds beauty in music; each time, people create and share this music uniquely. A person’s preference on the way they listen to music, whether in live performances, digital formats, compact discs (CDs) or vinyl records, reveals a great chunk of one’s identity.

As records display a major revival, modern vinyl collectors must find their choice place to buy them. For residents of Kennesaw and Acworth, the choice seems clear: Retrosound Records. Former English teacher Ken Masters, the passionate owner of the lively music store, presides over an extensive and meticulously-organized stock of vinyl records. The proprietor, an extroverted and seasoned music lover, cares deeply for his merchandise and all it represents. Located off Highway 92, the store invites visitors in thanks to Master’s infectious enthusiasm and readiness to assist. Every visit to Retrosound Records creates a memorable music experience. 

“Used records have a story to tell, they’ve been somewhere I haven’t been, and the thing about albums is that it’s a full sensual experience because with the exception of taste, you use all of your other senses, obviously it’s tactile because you have to handle them and move them and you have to be engaged in that way; the auditory system is going to be involved, it’s oral, but your old factory senses are engaged too. There’s a little hint of incense about this record that tells part of the story of its journey. I have records in my collection to this day that when I handle them, they have the faint pleasant aroma of my past,” Masters said. 

Tucked away in a cozy shopping center, this unique shop remains a fixture since opening June 2019. Although it opened at a less-than-ideal time, the shop persevered through the pandemic and cultivated a loyal and diverse clientele equal to its diverse merchandise. 

Upon entering, visitors encounter three rooms, each wall painted with a pale blue hue. Classic rock dominates the first room customers enter, along with a centrally-located section for lower-priced records and a shelf of CDs toward the back of the room. The room houses works from legendary artists such as the Beatles and Pink Floyd. Venturing into the first offshoot of the store leads to a second room where the air carries the smooth melodies of jazz. This chamber’s area creates an inviting space for jazz enthusiasts. The final room holds folk, pop and country, among other genres. At this music store, one can find a myriad of artists such as Claudine Longet and Sandie Shaw. Any visitor who steps through the door can find an aspect they delight in. Beyond the music, the experience alone of moseying through the store brings satisfaction to the customer.

“I really like the hunt of looking for records because especially now that I have to buy them with a lot of my own money because I have a job, I go in with one album in mind and I won’t really buy anything else unless I find that one album, and I love digging through. My parents will ask me, ‘why don’t you just call the store and see if they have it,’ but I would much rather go in and dig through it all,” magnet senior Isabel Baxter said.

The entirety of the store breathes music through its dedication and the way it resounds through each of the customers’ senses. The shop’s walls stand lined in it, the air booms with it and one can’t help but think of it. Each day, Masters’s store fills itself with nostalgia. From ABBA to Zeppelin, the store serves the community faithfully in a broad range of albums from various artists; Masters seeks to deliver all of his customers’ desires. Although the store began humbly as an online seller with record sales on the rise, the store aims for even greater heights.