Dancing with the Stars dances on

Valentina Gonzalez
“Dancing with the Stars”(DWTS) continues to waltz into viewers’ hearts each season. This year’s 32nd season includes popular superstars such as Grammy winner Jason Mraz, reality TV star Ariana Madix and Oscar winner Mira Sorvino. With this diverse cast, DWTS draws in viewers of all ages and ensures each couple a fair chance of winning the famous Mirrorball Trophy at the end of the competition.

Debuting in 2005, “Dancing with the Stars” (DWTS) holds the shared title as one of the top-watched shows this year with its newly premiered 32nd season. With 6.5 million viewers worldwide, DWTS releases new episodes live every Tuesday night on Disney Plus. This year, the show attained a growth of 1.72 million total viewers, earned a demo win for ABC and now continues to attract new viewers. 

DWTS acquires stars and celebrities from across the world and then pairs them with a professional dancer who teaches them a new dance every week. This year, judges, as well as voters, determine the elimination of one duo each week. At the end of the season, the winning couple receives the famous Mirrorball Trophy. This year’s trophy lives in honor of Len Goodman, the late beloved judge on DWTS for five seasons.

Viewers enjoy the ability to vote for their favorite couples this year due to previous years’ scandals within the scoring system between the judges. So far, four couples left the competition after their low scores, mixed with low voting stats. 

“I like that this season includes the viewer’s votes mixed into the elimination decisions because it ensures the audience’s favorite couples extra time to see them shine on stage. In previous seasons, it was always really sad when couples would be eliminated due to a tiny mistake the judges thought was rule-breaking,” junior Emily Moyer said.

Actress and singer Jamie Lynn Spears shocked audience members and even judges when she faced elimination due to her low number of voters. Dancers receive scores out of 30, each of the three judges evaluating the dancers with scores out of 10. Before each commercial break, this year’s hosts, Julianne Hough and Alfonso Ribeiro, encourage viewers at home to vote for their favorite couple to ensure the couple a spot in the next week’s competition. 

Although not confirmed, DWTS stars supposedly receive money when they first sign on to the show, then earn an increasing payment each week they remain in the competition. When the final couples make it to the finale, they can win up to $360,000 along with the Mirrorball Trophy. Contestants from previous seasons even return for trio dances on the show, showing their moves to prove themselves worthy after their losses.

“I absolutely love ‘Dancing with the Stars.’ This season has so many good dancers who continue to improve each week. It’s always been a very entertaining show but I think this season will be one of their best with their incredible pro dancers and great themes,” junior Tessa Saunders said.

Last night’s theme, Disney Night, included dances to beloved classics that enchanted viewers, honoring 100 years of Disney. Also included in yesterday’s show, host Julianne Hough announced she would join the professional dancers on their new DWTS tour, which kicks off January 2024. Continuing its popular themes and use of cherished celebrities on the dance floor, DWTS continues to impress its audience as one of the highest-rated live shows on television.

Valentina Gonzalez