Five classic albums to add to your rotation

Rosalyn Schwanke
With a teen’s love for music, the exploration of old and new albums inevitably plays an aspect in the journey for self-discovery. In recent years, classic rock albums have transformed into a mainstay in the musical landscape. Although the familiarity of the Beatles and Rolling Stones provides young people with a snapshot of the era’s music, these perennial sounds must not box in the diversity of the genre. These five albums act as a diverse introduction to classic rock for any modern listener.

Rock and roll never died. Folk music remains in hospice, but still, it lives on. Frankly, the time has come to return these glassy-eyed genres to their youth. Today’s teens, including those at NC, hold the power to restore the musical lifeforce to these two delightful genres, but first, they must know where to start.

This 1968 music collection by the former Beatle George Harrison acted as the soundtrack for a movie of the same name, but it shines in its own right. Between Indian-inspired compositions, Western sounds and emotional renditions, this album evokes feelings from deep despair to surrealist serenity in any listener lucky enough to hear it. The album showcases Harrison’s immense talent and opens the window to a raw view of the inspiration for multitudes of ‘60s rock bands.

Jimi Hendrix released his second studio album, “Axis,” in 1967 featuring a mixture of blues, jazz and hard rock within each song. The first song on the album, “Exp,” creatively alludes to radio shows, creating an alienesque introduction to the album. From there, Hendrix expands into his trademark guitar and vocals, singing about love, social issues and his life experiences in a way only Hendrix can. 

“‘Axis: Bold as Love’ is pretty good. I have a few songs I don’t like on it, but my all-time favorite song on the album is ‘Spanish Castle Magic.’ I feel like it has a different kind of beat compared to all the other songs. It has a beautiful mix of guitar and drums to vocal ratio and sounds a bit more harsh than some of the other songs that sound calmer,” Kell High School sophomore Molly McCue said.

Although the band’s later album “Rumours” largely overshadowed their second self-titled release, Fleetwood Mac fans cherish this album. The release first features the line-up, including Stevie Nicks, who carried the band to international fame. The pop-rock sound of the album cries far from the blues origin of the band, but it garnered previously unknown success. Songs like “Rhiannon,” “Landslide” and “Over My Head” contribute to the album, which lands their place on the playlists of listeners young and old.

“It amazes me how three voices blend the way they do. Not just vocally but in the writing styles as well, the way all their writing styles fit so naturally on the same record… It says a lot that this [Monday Morning] is the foot that Fleetwood Mac decided to put in the door. This song gets stuck in my head like you would not believe,” album reviewer Abigail Devoe said.

Of Cream’s four studio albums, Disraeli Gears left the strongest mark on music’s cultural landscape. Although members Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce rarely agreed on anything, the product of their craft appears entirely cohesive. Between songs such as“Strange Brew,” “Sunshine Of Your Love” and “Tales of Brave Ulysses,” Cream packs both the elation and the gravity characteristic of the ‘60s seamlessly into their work.

Folk rock trio, The Stone Poneys, featuring music legend Linda Ronstadt, began in Los Angeles in the mid-‘60s. The band created three albums together, but this one set itself apart. Featuring timeless songs such as “Different Drum,” “New Hard Times” and “Back On The Street Again,” the album maintains its grip on listeners decades after its publishing in 1967. It seamlessly captures the California hippie sound of ‘60s America that whispers through time, but this album gradually fades into obscurity.

Honorable mention: “Permanent Damage” by the GTOs

Although considering this album a necessity to the modern listener would ruin any credibility this article possesses, it provides a unique perspective on psychedelic rock and the era it derived from. Girls Together Outrageously (The GTOs) published only this album in their two years of playing together. The group came together through the organization of Frank Zappa in 1968. First and foremost, they performed, likely explaining the disorganized feeling captured in the album.

View Comments (3)