Prom 101: how to plan for prom 2024

Valentina Gonzalez
Especially for seniors, prom night proves a celebration of years of hard work. As prom on March 23, 2024 approaches, upperclassmen rush to figure out their entire prom day schedule. To feel prepared, students can plan the prom elements ahead of time to secure important necessities and avoid any problems that day.

With the upcoming prom season in April and May, juniors and seniors hurry and struggle to lay out their prom schedule. As their last high school prom, seniors feel as though the day should come with no surprises. Prom either feels like the perfect night or a total disaster, highlighting the importance of planning the special day ahead of time. NC students can begin to prepare before March 23—the day of prom. 

Buying Tickets

Unfortunately, the exciting day of prom does not come free. NC prom tickets currently sell at $85 per ticket and do not come with a price raise as students reach the day of prom. This stable price means students seesawing the decision to attend prom can do so until March 21 and for the same amount. 

Reservations

As a majority of schools hold their prom at venues far from the school itself, with an hour’s worth of driving and traffic, prom attendees stress to find a fancy restaurant to grab a bite before the dance. Creating reservations closer to the beginning of the month helps students secure a spot at a restaurant no matter the amount of time spent in traffic. Since NC’s prom takes place in Atlanta, restaurants such as Big Kahuna Atlanta and Hard Rock Cafe Atlanta stand as perfect options for a close dinner spot before prom. 

Attire

For male and female attendees, attire remains the top priority. While plenty of guests ignore it, the people who set up the venue decorate according to the prom’s theme; this year they will decorate the venue as an Enchanted Grotto. The matching decorations can benefit students who wish to take coordinating prom pictures within the venue. Regardless, students can benefit from buying their prom outfit a couple of weeks before their prom day to plan ahead their hairstyles, shoes, nail color and other elements included in the perfect prom outfit. Within the Kennesaw and Acworth area, David’s Bridal and Macy’s at Town Center offer lovely dress and suit choices for men and women. 

“David’s Bridal is the perfect place for prom dresses. They have such a variety of dress styles and occasions in case someone wants to go more casual or more fancy. They even have shoes there that match with their various dresses. I’m gonna get my dress this weekend and I fully intend to find good options at David’s Bridal,” junior Aubrey McPherson said. 

Appointments

For those wishing to attend prom with professionally done hair, nails or makeup, appointments for these actions remain extremely important. Like restaurant reservations, appointments book up quickly approaching prom day. Depending on the localness of a salon, booking an appointment up to 3-4 weeks before the scheduled day allows a customer enough time to decide what work they want done. This also allows the customer to gauge the times their other events will take place on the day of prom. 

Transportation

Transportation remains an important factor for students on prom day. Considering the commute time to and from the Georgia Aquarium, this year’s prom location, students securing a mode of transportation within a week before remains a smart option for those who wish to not worry about their mode of travel. 

“I think especially given this year’s prom location, everyone struggles to figure out how to figure out how they’re actually going to get to prom. A lot of people want limousines and fancy rides like that in order to carpool. I think as long as everyone plans ahead of time, their transportation method is set in stone,” junior Alyiah Euwing said.

Beginning to prepare for their special night around the beginning of the month of their prom relieves students from any struggles close to the actual day. From their prom outfits to venue food, NC students can expect a fun time at this year’s prom at the Georgia Aquarium. With these simple tips and tricks, students can prepare weeks ahead and lock in their plans for the fun night.