Job hunting? These interview tips and tricks can help you get hired

Melissa Hines

During an interview with Ms. Kovel, Arsheen Kour displays fear and nervousness. “Interviews in general are nerve wracking because you are so exposed and worried about making sure you give off a good impression,” says Kour.

Melissa Hines, Reporter, Photographer

High school serves as a prime time for obtaining a simple job to keep a steady cash flow, but how does one ace the intimidating interview? The interview process can create a nerve-wracking and chilling environment as it determines whether or not the prospective employee will get the job.

Work experience can help mend this uneasy feeling, but often seems like an initial skill high schoolers lack.

“In many cases this is their first job. So, we cannot expect much background experience. We ask about the kind of things they have done, what are they responsible for at home, what they hope to accomplish in school, what they want to be when they grow up, and when they graduate college, what field they want to work in. We of course look for things related to hospitality,” Craig Kovel, owner of local frozen yogurt shop Zoyo, said.

Potential employees must prepare for questions the employers ask, usually depending on the job at hand. For example, Zoyo’s employers ask questions that give them an idea of someone’s personality, as they want someone with a welcoming and outgoing personality that makes customers feel at home.

“You can never dress up too much for an interview. Even if you are interviewing for a job at a carwash, you need to look nice. For interview attire, a guy should wear a button up shirt and tie, and a girl should wear a nice skirt or dress. Look your best because that means you are showing respect for the job,” Dr. Page said

Besides showing a strong personality, job searching junior Raven Balentine said forthcoming hires should do plenty of research on the job: “It is important to do research because if you don’t, you won’t know what to expect. Also, you won’t know what skills are needed for the job and you will  be unprepared. Most employers are going to expect you to know information about the particular job you are interviewing for.”

First impressions make or break an interview. Employers look for someone wearing neat, matching attire that gives off an organized and sophisticated look. Wearing sweatpants and a T-shirt to an interview gives off the impression that lacks concern for the job. Not only do one’s clothes form this first impression, but a person’s personality and body language as well.

“Everything you do from the beginning of the interview leaves an impression. You need to show that you are enthusiastic, that you are excited, and that this is an opportunity that you are looking for,” Dr. Page said.