Food Pantry Challenge tasks local schools to collect cans

Nadya Awino

Each first period will have a box meant for donations. They have until September 11th to collect as many cans as they can.

Nadya Awino, Reporter, Photographer

The Food Pantry Challenge accepts a multitude of donations, including rice, ramen noodles, and soup.
Nadya Awino

Starting this week, NC takes on the Food Pantry Challenge. Teaming up with the Daily Bread Food Pantry, Tribal Connections will provide food for families all over Cobb County.

The members of Tribal Connections right before giving teachers their donation boxes.
Nadya Awino

Schools from the area compete to see who can bring in the most canned food, and this year, NC students are making it a goal to win. “We really want to beat Kennesaw Mountain,” said sophomore Claudia Checo. Checo proves an important figure in the event, as well as the rest of of the Tribal Connections members. Remaining a group that uses leadership skills to plan community service projects, they began planning this since the beginning of the year.

Tribal Connections will give every teacher with a first period a canned food donation box. For about two weeks, students can bring in any non-perishable item, from canned beans to dry pasta, and place it in their box. On September 11th, TC will collect and count the boxes, and “the class with the most donations gets a free chicken biscuit breakfast the following week, provided by Tribal Connections,” says Nishmin Porbandarwala, a TC sponsor.

Volunteers at The Taste of Kennesaw will count the food NC collects on September 12th. Sophomore Ansley McCoy said, “you’re helping us win the Food Challenge, but we’re helping so many people by doing this.” Look out for the boxes in first period to help the families of Cobb.