“The limit does not exist”: NC Math Team provides opportunity for academic success

Cim+Keith+and+Hilary+Armstrong%2C+Math+Team+advisors%2C+look+forward+to+this+year%E2%80%99s+opportunities%2C+possibilities%2C+and+improvements+for+the+team.+%E2%80%9CWe+are+hoping+that+more+awesome+Warriors+will+come+out+and+join+Math+Team+this+year%2C%E2%80%9D+Armstrong+said.+

Bahaar Esfahani

Cim Keith and Hilary Armstrong, Math Team advisors, look forward to this year’s opportunities, possibilities, and improvements for the team. “We are hoping that more awesome Warriors will come out and join Math Team this year,” Armstrong said.

Bahaar Esfahani, Reporter, Photographer

The NC Math Team seeks out students who wish to show off their mathematical skillset and represent the school in regional and national competitions all school year.

Math Team divides into two teams: JV (Algebra II and below) and Varsity (pre calculus and above). The problems presented challenge each team based on the amount of skills they learned in school.

“In each competition, you have to persevere in things you don’t know how to do,” Cim Keith, co-advisor of the Math Team, said.

Competitions include two main events: ciphering and the test event. Ciphering involves ten questions and each team member must write out and solve each question without a calculator within two minutes. If solved correctly in one minute, the team gets ten points. If solved correctly in two minutes, the team receives five points. On the other hand, the test event includes 25 multiple-choice questions to answer with the help of a calculator.

Despite popular misconceptions, participation on the team does not involve speaking in front of audiences, but rather written performances graded in a group setting.

“There’s no speaking in front of anyone. It’s all written and no one sees your answers except the people grading it,” Adviser Hilary Armstrong said.

Practices for the Math Team involve participants working to solve a set of problems. Team members go out of their comfort zones to learn and familiarize themselves with unusual ideas and concepts, bettering their arithmetic skills.

Furthermore, Warrior Wednesday provides a new opportunity for the Math Team.

“In the past, we met before school, but starting this year, we’re going to try it during Warrior Wednesdays,” Keith said.

However, passionate students who cannot participate in Math Team during Warrior Wednesdays can pick up practice problems the next morning from either Keith or Armstrong as an acceptable alternative.

Furthermore, despite the conclusions drawn about Math Team from popular movies, Keith and Armstrong make it known that “The limit does not exist” scene from Mean Girls in no way correctly represents the conduction and purpose of math competitions. Rather, a private, individual contribution from each contestant tallies up into a group score for NC’s team.  

“I would like to see more students participate. I would like to see better turn outs at our meets and people representing North Cobb. There are a lot of smart students who go to school here,” Armstrong said.

Anybody, regardless of their math skills, can join to learn to better themselves and enjoy math with a group of students who think likewise.

“[Math team] might be a little intimidating, but if you’re okay with just getting better and you’re not thinking about anybody else, anyone can [do it],” Keith said.