A sneak beak into Pelican’s Snowballs

Located+off+of+Old+41+Highway%2C+Pelican%27s+Snowballs+offers+100+flavors+of+snowcones.+
Located off of Old 41 Highway, Pelican's Snowballs offers 100 flavors of snowcones.

Tara Anastasoff

Tara Anastasoff

Tara Anastasoff, Editor-in-Chief

The perfect place to soak up the last few weeks of summer, Pelican’s Sno-Balls features 100 flavors of snowcones for park goers and sweet treat fanatics to choose from. Customers can order anything from pickle-flavored shaved ice to the classic fan favorite, Blue Raspberry, even requesting multiple flavors in one cup, which ranges in size from Kiddie cup to Avalanchea gargantuan bucket of ice and sugary syrup.

Tara Anastasoff
With 100 flavors to choose from, each customer will for sure find something to satisfy their taste buds. Many people order the sugary Rainbow flavor, but the business also offers pickle flavored shaved ice.

With their sweet or sour flavors, every person will undoubtedly find something to enjoy. Pelican’s even features a three-flavored menu for man’s best friend, offering French vanilla, peanut butter, and sometimes chicken broth.

I ordered a small sized cup of Tiger’s Blood and Pink Lemonade flavored shaved ice and loved the combination of lemon with a hint of coconut. The snowcone helped cool me down in the near 90-degree heat.

Tara Anastasoff
A tasty way to cool off in the summer heat, snowcones appeal to people of all ages.

However, Pelican’s Sno-Balls does not lie in the most convenient place for walkers and bikers, and the premises offer limited parking spaces. The bright blue-colored hut grabs one’s attention while driving, but those who do not drive must either walk a significant length down Old 41 Highway to the nearest crosswalk, or gamble with life and run across two lanes of traffic at precisely the right time.

Conveniently located across from the popular Swift Cantrell Park, and because the season always calls for a place to cool off, one can expect to wait between 15 and 50 minutes for their snowcone. Made fresh to order, it can take around five minutes per snowcone, making the wait seem almost endless depending on the length of the line.

While the wait may feel like a downside for visiting the popular snowcone hut, that does not stop people from queuing down the boardwalk-style ramp and through the parking lot. Their tasty and unique flavors entice people and dogs of all ages.

“It’s a super good place to meet up after school, the overall organization of the business is a little shaky, but I’m sure it will develop over time. I personally really like going there and getting their stuff,” junior Christine Call said.

The Chant’s Grade: B