ROTC dazzles officers at Annual Military Inspection

A portion of the NC unit stands at attention as they wait to receive a uniform inspection from the presiding officer. The NC band waits behind them to play during the unit’s ceremony.

Sky Vinson

Sky Vinson

Sky Vinson, Reporter, Photographer

NC’s JROTC program put on a successful show on Wednesday, October 4, 2017 as they completed their Annual Military Inspection (AMI) between first and second period. The AMI gives an opportunity for the entire unit to receive an inspection by a senior officer of Area 12, the area of over 50 schools that the unit falls under.

Sky Vinson
Student cadet stands at attention while receiving a uniform inspection from the senior officer. Fellow cadets to his left stand in wait for their inspection after much preparation. The senior officer looks at the cadets uniform to examine the correct components and pieces.

“It’s funny because we had a Commander as a guest inspector who had never inspected a JROTC AMI before, so he is going to be in for a shock when he has to inspect for another unit’s AMI in November since we set the bar so high,” senior and Cadet Chief Petty Officer Alyssa Thomas said.

During the inspection, the officer analyzed each cadet, checking the different components of their uniforms and looking at each piece to determine what each cadet has placed correctly, as well as what the cadet must improve upon.

Taylor Teli
Second row of cadets stand at attention in preparation to receive their inspection. The first row stand with a sense of relief, while the remaining cadets continue in suspense. Glimpses of the audience stand to the side.

Following the inspection, the program ran through a ceremonial parade that showcased the armed exhibition drill routine, where the team displayed their hard work to their fellow cadets, leaders, and audience. After the parade, the team captain briefed the senior officer on the program’s accomplishments, operations, and future goals together as a program and a unit.

Taylor Teli
Student cadets stand at attention while awaiting to receive their uniform inspection. The NC band sits patiently in the back during the inspection to play during the ceremony.

“The event was extremely successful this year, making many improvements since the last. I am very pleased with the turnout and plan to continue the unit’s success for the duration of the year through the help of the cadets and senior staff members,” senior and Ensign Malachi Rock said.

The unit rehearsed for the event since last spring, and received the due credit for their efforts.

“Everyone was well prepared for the event and we really delivered well. All of the cadets, including myself and Commanding Officer Samantha Martinez practiced extremely hard and the results were definitely there,” senior and Executive Officer Malayna Rock said.

In preparation, the unit rehearsed by running through the scripts multiple times, refining it each time until all components matched their standards.

Overall, the inspection revealed itself a tremendous success that received the scores (scores received 10 business days after the event) to back it up.

“I am extremely proud of all of the hardworking, motivated and dedicated cadets that stood tall and represented the unit. The commitment we have is like no other, and I strongly believe that we achieved what we wanted by impressing and leaving the inspecting officer with nothing but good remarks to say. Hard work really does pay off,” senior and Commanding Officer Samantha Martinez said.

Sky Vinson
Group of student cadets stand in the outer gym lobby as they await to enter the gym for their inspection.