Rape preventing nail polish misses point and encourages conforming to rape culture

Sophia Mapua, Reporter

Women can now add another accessory to their wardrobe: drug-detecting nail polish. To prevent the occurrence of date rape, four male college students have developed a product called Undercover Colors.

The polish works like this: women apply several coats of the product and dip their fingers into an alcoholic beverage. In the presence of a common date rape drug, such as Rohypnol or GHB, the nail polish will change colors, revealing a rapist’s malicious plan.

According to Undercover Color’s Facebook page, approximately 18 percent of American women will undergo sexual assault in their lives, and this new product aims to help combat against attackers.

“They are our daughters, they are our girlfriends, and they are our friends,” said the founders via Facebook.

While the idea holds moralistic intentions, it fails to point out the initial cause of rape and produces negative social outcomes.

“How about women don’t have to wear a special nail polish and dunk their fingers in every cocktail to not get raped?” said Lindy West – via Twitter (thelindywest).

By teaching women to protect themselves from sexual assault, Undercover Colors promotes the idea that women should conform to rape culture. Instead of averting the problem, however, men need to collectively stop the action.

“I think it’s a good idea and it’s important, but it’s deflecting from the actual cause of rape: men and women who want to be in control,” said senior Alex Maxwell.

Although the founders carry an appreciated motive, products like these should not even have to exist. While the invention of technology such as these is certainly helpful, people cannot overlook the origin of the issue.