Drive-in in Kennesaw

Sophomores%2C+Skylar+Chan+and+Abbey+Corley%2C+enjoy+Kennesaw%E2%80%99s+modern+%E2%80%9Cdrive-in%E2%80%9D+movie+Friday%2C+the+19th+at+8+o%E2%80%99clock+p.m.+%E2%80%9CThe+movie+had+a+really+good+vibe+and+it+was+something+different+to+do+on+a+Friday+night+besides+a+football+game%2C%E2%80%9D+Chan+said.+

Elyssa Abbott

Sophomores, Skylar Chan and Abbey Corley, enjoy Kennesaw’s modern “drive-in” movie Friday, the 19th at 8 o’clock p.m. “The movie had a really good vibe and it was something different to do on a Friday night besides a football game,” Chan said.

Elyssa Abbott, Reporter, Photographer

Throughout the month of October, the city of Kennesaw hosts a “drive-in” movie to bring the community together and support a locally loved charity, MUST Ministries. Not actually a typical drive-in with cars, the city instead invited guests to bring chairs and blankets to enjoy a night with friends and family while watching old Halloween movies.

The first movie Kennesaw showed, Destroy All Planets from 1968, happened on October 12—a perfect film to start off the fall season with a scare. The House on Haunted Hill from 1959 played with plenty of fear and fun from guests on Friday, October 19. The city will show The Blob from 1968 this coming Friday on October 26. These classic movies set the mood for an “old-timey” night under the stars similar to a classic 1950s drive-in.

“[The House on Haunted Hill] was a super cool movie and atmosphere and a fun way to spend my Friday night with friends,” sophomore Abbey Corley said.

As a fundraising event for MUST Ministries, the drive-in charged no admission, but instead asked guests to donate canned foods. MUST Ministries volunteers sold concessions to additionally support the organization.

Elyssa Abbott
Along with the movie, a canned food drive also occurred to support MUST Ministries. The drive-in, free of charge, only asked for canned food from each of the patrons to enjoy the fall night under the stars.

The cool air felt like fall as the group of about 30 people wrapped themselves in blankets on the grass. The “drive-in” took place at the corner of J.O. Stephenson and Main Street in a side lot in Downtown Kennesaw. The small empty field and screen made for the perfect environment for an old drive-in. Guests could bring their own food and snacks to enjoy during the movie, and people of all ages gathered to participate in a fun fall activity as they munched on popcorn and other treats.

“I did not really go in with any expectations, but it turned out to be amazing. The movie was different, but good. I would definitely go back,” sophomore Khushi Patel said.

A fantastic way to start the weekend, the Kennesaw “drive-in” will hold their last movie on October 26. They encourage all who come to donate canned foods for MUST Ministries and enjoy spooky classics with their friends.