Holocaust survivor and guest speaker moves Magnet students

Judy Stubblefield

Murray Lynn, Holocaust survivor, introduces an Auschwitz documentary which included a testimony of his experience and recovery.

Alicia Bush, Editor-in-Chief

On September 23 during second period, NC’s International Studies Magnet students gathered in the theatre to hear Holocaust survivor Murray Lynn discuss his life-changing experiences.

After formally introducing himself, Lynn played a personal documentary chronicling the Holocaust and its detrimental effects, both to society and his family.

“When speaking about tragedies such as the Holocaust, people sometimes forget the individual stories. Those millions of people had personal lives before they were stripped from them, and I’m glad Mr. Murray was able to share his experiences with us,” senior Rachael Mockalis said.

Murray and his family made the trek to Auschwitz concentration camp when he was 15 years-old. As the only survivor from his lineage, Lynn endured several tragic events that damaged his personal, mental, and physical growth. After relocating to the United States and starting a new life, he felt responsible for educating the general public so that no one could forget or deny the tragedy.

“The most profound thing he said was concerning anti-semitism and how it wasn’t created overnight. An individual took this idea, pierced it, and initiated a tragic act of injustice towards innocent people. And it just shows that we can’t allow injustice to slip through the cracks,” senior Christopher Elsey said.

After playing the video, Lynn spoke about religious intolerance and social injustice, encouraging students to stand against both. Afterwards, he accepted questions concerning his personal views and family life.

“Hearing him speak was a reinforcement for me to continue treating people nicely and respecting their personal experiences,” senior Sarah Mockalis said.

To view Lynn’s speech, visit the video below.