Prospective band students mingle with current marching band at eighth grade band night September 26

Eighth graders and current marching band members rest and socialize while waiting for kickoff.

Kayley Rapp, News editor

To fully grasp the marching band experience, eighth grade band students from surrounding middle schools attended NC’s eighth grade marching band night on September 26th.

“Eighth grade night was so much fun. We danced and taught the eighth graders how to play different stand tunes. I think a lot of them are going to join next year, which is really awesome. If they all join, we can all meet each other and become close friends,” junior Gayla Bridges said.

Band students from Barber Middle School, Awtrey Middle School, and Palmer Middle School visited NC to see what marching is actually like. Band moms welcomed the students upon arrival and provided them with shirts to identify them from the band.

Once the middle schoolers congregated in the band room, different section leaders matched them with high school members of the same instrument. As Mr. Panell explained the night’s schedule, current band members showed the eighth graders how to play and dance to stand tunes.

“I liked how our partners helped us learn how the marching band works, and they taught us how all the stand tune dances go,” eighth grader Lucas Magalhaes said.

Eighth grade night allowed middle school students to fully understand what joining marching band truly means. The night also provided them with experience to go on when making the decision to join or not. This gives the color guard the ability to tell interested girls about their program in the band. Young women interested in color guard may audition next spring.

“I had a lot of fun because everyone was so welcoming and just plain old nice. Being part of the marching band for just one night gave me a good idea of what marching band is really like,” eighth grader Shannon Rapp said.

The night ended with the eager eighth-grade students watching the marching band show “The Journey of a Champion.” Their amazement remained visible on their faces as the band performed.

After the night’s experience, the eighth graders will decide whether joining marching band or color guard will benefit them in high school.