New blood comes into the battle royale video game empire: Apex Legends

Out with the old and in with the new. Press “START” to commence a unique gaming experience offered by the new battle royale game: Apex Legends. “It’s a new, fun, and teamwork based game. I’m excited to see it grow,” senior Kaden Barfield said.

Esteban Alarcon

Esteban Alarcon

Esteban Alarcon

Esteban Alarcon, Copy Editor

The beloved battle royale video game format made its mark in 2017, creating a handful of battle royale superpowers that took over the industry. This particular genre did not develop overnight, rather, multiplayer mods in open-world survival games influenced its creation. Similar to The Hunger Games layout, gamers in a battle royale simulation find themselves and opponents in a map with structures and weaponry scattered throughout as they essentially look to survive as the last one standing.

Battle royale giants such as Fortnite, PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (PubG), and Call of Duty Blackout dominated the spotlight during the short lifeline of the genre, however, a new competitor enters the arena, and it intends to stay.

On February 4, Electronic Arts Inc. (EA) released Apex Legends for free on Xbox One, PS4, and PC, bringing in 25 million players after one week. The game does not revolutionize video games, nor does it introduce any novel concepts, rather, it executes details in common gameplay and makes an emphasis on player-game interaction.

It offers eight characters, or Legends, to play as in a match, each with a special power the character can use during gameplay: Bangalore, Caustic, Bloodhound, Lifeline, Mirage, Wraith, Pathfinder, and Gibraltar. Squads of three come together to advance throughout the match, using both offensive and defensive tactics.

Details throughout the game enhance the teamwork ethic and communication to eventually create an intense and rewarding gaming experience. Each team launches from the aircraft soaring above the map to commence the match, and instead of flying into the rendezvous separately as seen in other games, the “jumpmaster” leads the squadron, implementing the teamwork feel seconds into the game.

At the click of a button, teammates make vital callouts regarding a direction, an armory suggestion, a need for medical attention, or the spotting of an enemy. In creating this simulated call out system all designated to one button, Apex Legends surpasses the communication barrier encountered when players do not have a mic.

As for weaponry and utilities, Apex Legends maintains its quality and innovation. It limits each player to a personal arsenal holding two weapons, and an adjustable backpack holding offensive throwable items, health items, and other loot. Additionally, it allows players to allocate body armor and weapon attachments of different tiers, creating an interactive experience with the player and in-game elements.

One can attribute Apex Legends’ explosive popularity to a key marketing strategy—targeting iconic Fortnite battle royale streamers and professional gamers. In a matter of days, Apex Legends sponsored a Twitch video game stream and YouTube video of TSM Daquan, DrLupo, Nick Eh 30, and Ninja—the most renowned video game streamers in the battle royale genre. The tens of millions of viewers subscribing to Fortnite-based Twitch and YouTube channels suddenly found their beloved Fortnite professional gamers playing a new, free, and unique battle royale video game.   

Within barely two weeks, Apex Legends starts to engulf its new players into a futuristic and lovable virtual battle. In upcoming updates and structural improvements, this video game will become one of the dominating entities in the world of battle royale.   

The Chant’s Grade: A-